Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eyes seem to be getting as old as me and I am looking to change my peep for better low light performance. Currently I have 3/16" size peep (don't know the brand but it's aluminum and the shop put it in so I'm sure it's just something cheap) and it frames my sight ring pretty good; maybe cuts it off just slightly but it's hard for me tell how much.

So I am looking at the Sterner string splitter Claw that is also 3/16" but is supposed to let in more light and still allow you to frame your sight ring. I searched the posts here and the few I found about it are around 10 years old. Anyone currently using the Claw version and how do you like it as far as combining accuracy and low light performance? I usually like my peeps tied into the string instead of just serving above and below but I don't think you can do that with the string splitter peeps. Any issue with them moving tied in like that?

My other thought was to try a slightly larger peep like 7/32". I don't know if that will be too big for my sight ring or if it would even let in that much more light. I see the Raptor peep comes in that size and seems to be pretty well liked and Total Peep has one that size but god are they huge.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, any benefit using a non-black peep? I see them but have never shot one and don't know if they help or hurt or are just purely fashion.

·
Registered
Hoyt Hyper Force Hoyt CRX 32. Trophy ridge Easton FMJs
1,006 Posts
You might check out Specialty Archery they have a lot of peeps to choose from I am using the 1/4” peep with verifier for old eyes and can see my pins clear as a bell
Good luck

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I use 3/16 and 7/32. Currently on the bow's I will use most in dim light I have a 7/32" and it helps. Having a sight you can move in and out to help get the circles to align is helpful. But I have a setup that when its aligned I see little of the scope ring, and others I can see the whole scope ring , I just don't like to have a lot of "air" around the scope ring. I work on trying to just get it to feel natural and fall right into place at full draw. If I does not feel like I am working at getting things to settle in, that's what I am looking for. Vision varies among individuals, but some of us need more light to see. When you draw back on an animal in dim light that has a coat like a deer, or wild hog that has intermingled black, brown,etc....and you can see it fine until you look through the peep and then it seems to vanish...you need more light to your eye. I probably need twice the light I needed just 10 years ago, much less forty years ago. I have also used a 1/4" peep before and no peep. No peep is awesome, but I really measured my groups accurately and even with anchor helpers I shoot about 20 percent better with a peep. Especially when you start going over like 30 yards. If I always kept every shot at 25 or less, I could do peepless.

·
Registered
Bear moment 65#, Elite Impulse 31 81.5#, Xpedition Xscape 80.5#, Hoyt turbo hawk rkt cams 75.5#
1,126 Posts
Try shooting with no peep. You may or may not like it but its worth trying. I've never used one and see no reason to try a peep personally.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
My eyes seem to be getting as old as me and I am looking to change my peep for better low light performance. Currently I have 3/16" size peep (don't know the brand but it's aluminum and the shop put it in so I'm sure it's just something cheap) and it frames my sight ring pretty good; maybe cuts it off just slightly but it's hard for me tell how much.

So I am looking at the Sterner string splitter Claw that is also 3/16" but is supposed to let in more light and still allow you to frame your sight ring. I searched the posts here and the few I found about it are around 10 years old. Anyone currently using the Claw version and how do you like it as far as combining accuracy and low light performance? I usually like my peeps tied into the string instead of just serving above and below but I don't think you can do that with the string splitter peeps. Any issue with them moving tied in like that?

My other thought was to try a slightly larger peep like 7/32". I don't know if that will be too big for my sight ring or if it would even let in that much more light. I see the Raptor peep comes in that size and seems to be pretty well liked and Total Peep has one that size but god are they huge.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, any benefit using a non-black peep? I see them but have never shot one and don't know if they help or hurt or are just purely fashion.
I'm 61 now. I've been using 1/4" peeps for many years now along with .029 pins. Smaller pins looked blurred or double image. .029 is easy to see, and I can actually see my target X-rings right through my Spot Hogg pins. I'm far sighted though.

·
Registered
20,266 Posts
76 & use a 3/32 for target & no clarifier, & a 3/16 for hunting with a .019 HHA pin.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You might check out Specialty Archery they have a lot of peeps to choose from I am using the 1/4” peep with verifier for old eyes and can see my pins clear as a bell
Good luck
Interchangeable size apertures is the way to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't have any trouble seeing my pins and the target isn't fuzzy, yet, but low light is more challenging. So I am specifically looking for something to help with low light.

Anyone using a Sterner claw peep and did it help with low light and not reduce accuracy?

I know increasing peep size will help with light but I'm worried accuracy will drop off too much. I'm sure I will have to experiment but with these peeps running around $20 I don't want to experiment too much so trying to gather as much info before I pick a first experiment...

·
Back Yard Champion
31,547 Posts
I have never understood why a sight ring. I don't even want to see my pin housing. I center the pins inside of the peep.

As far as housings and sight rings, a large peep would allow light to surround the housing or sight ring so to still center up.

Seems everyone is different, but I use a 1/8" peep and early dawn and evening it looks the size of 5 gallon bucket........

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
You can add one of the thick colored rubber bands (I think B3 makes them) around your scope, then go up in peer size, it will let in more light, scope will show up with flouresent ring around it.

·
Registered
52,070 Posts
1/4" peep. The splitters were a fad years ago and I saw more that one wreck strings, they split them way to far apart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can add one of the thick colored rubber bands (I think B3 makes them) around your scope, then go up in peer size, it will let in more light, scope will show up with flouresent ring around it.
That’s an idea but it doesn’t look like it will work with my Black Gold Mountain Lite. My site has the 1.75” sight ring. Anyone know if you can just swap that out with the 2” big dog ring? That might let me move up in peep size without loosing centering accuracy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts