Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the highest you can set one before getting into the top serving/speed buttons? I'm very interested in this bow but worried with a 28 inch mod

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
pretty much a bad joke when the short bow craze gets to the point that manufacturers are making bows so short that what is considered "normal accessories used on a bow", might not be able to be used.

·
Registered
173 Posts
With a 29.5 inch draw I couldn’t shoot a triax with a hinge because my peep would be touching the upper loop serving. Even then I had to scrunch to get a site picture. With an index I could make it work...

Cant imagine the V3 would be any better

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a 29.5 inch draw I couldn’t shoot a triax with a hinge because my peep would be touching the upper loop serving. Even then I had to scrunch to get a site picture. With an index I could make it work...

Cant imagine the V3 would be any better
This is what I'm afraid of. I shoot my hinges 2 finger with a very flat/extended release hand resulting in a higher peep setting

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is what I'm afraid of. I shoot my hinges 2 finger with a very flat/extended release hand resulting in a higher peep setting

I’m not one for following conventional “wisdom” just for the sake of it... But I’ve been told never go with a shorter ATA than your draw length and I’m now a believer in that concept. Nothing like having to sell a bow you bought new at a 45% loss 4 months later to help a lesson sink in!

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
You can always order New Strings and have the serving length on top shortened. I had Jeff shorten my top serving 1" shorter than factory length on my JBK Strings, because I shoot a High Peep.

Reactions: ChadWhit

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I’m a 30” draw and was very surprised how far my kisser was above my loop on my VXR 28. I had my peep as high as possible on initial setup. Only had to serve under it. I get a kick out of all the drama over short bows. My VXR 28 was the backup bow to my primary bow which is 23” ATA. Bottom line is if you don’t want to lug around a big bow, you adapt to the shorter ones. I adapted when bows went from 42” to 36”. Then again when they went to 30”. Then again when I went 23”-28”. You can’t be stuck in your ways.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m a 30” draw and was very surprised how far my kisser was above my loop on my VXR 28. I had my peep as high as possible on initial setup. Only had to serve under it. I get a kick out of all the drama over short bows. My VXR 28 was the backup bow to my primary bow which is 23” ATA. Bottom line is if you don’t want to lug around a big bow, you adapt to the shorter ones. I adapted when bows went from 42” to 36”. Then again when they went to 30”. Then again when I went 23”-28”. You can’t be stuck in your ways.
Well said. I think that's why i finally find the 27/28 bows so appealing.....33-35ata are certainly more comfortable for most and offer a more stable shooting platform but those bows do not strap to packs well at all nor fit in kayaks and they certainly don't shine crawling through brush or tucking yourself up in cedar/thick oaks. Never killed an animal and thought "thank God my bow was longer or I couldn't have made that shot"

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hope this pic helps. VXR 28 with a 30” DL. I have an average size noggin. Would like to give you actual measurements but I sold the bow 22 days after I bought it. Just needed it for a backup on a hunting trip.

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,976 Posts
Remove the speed nocks and shorten the upper serving. It's not hard to tie a reverse serving knot.

Or just don't buy a ridiculously short bow. I have a 27" DL with a low anchor to shoot a hinge and can't get comfortable on most bows shorter than 33" ATA. It boggles my mind why people think they need short bows.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It is what it is...

I shoot my TX-5 more consistently than my VXR 31.5... some things just work. I really thought I’d be hunting with the VXR this fall, but it’s hanging on the wall while the shorter ATA, shorter brace height TX-5 hangs next to me in a tree

·
Registered
758 Posts
Why all the fuss about short bows? I ask anybody that bashes them if they have actually set one up and shot it for a decent amount of time? They grow on you. Short bows shoot just as good as the 33”-35” bows, lot of it is the operator, most people just like me have a dedicated 3D bow and a primary hunting bow, so what’s the problem with a short bow for hunting. I took the 28” triax to the rhinehart r100 and finished top 5 on both courses that weekend shooting against tons of glorified target rigs. I’m a 29.5” draw by the way. How much more bow do you need to shoot an animal? If you don’t like them, move on. The average person is what makes these companies continue to move forward and I can’t think of very many (average bow hunters) that would want to shoot a longer bow when they can shoot a shorter bow with the same accuracy. I just don’t see the advantage

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why all the fuss about short bows? I ask anybody that bashes them if they have actually set one up and shot it for a decent amount of time? They grow on you. Short bows shoot just as good as the 33”-35” bows, lot of it is the operator, most people just like me have a dedicated 3D bow and a primary hunting bow, so what’s the problem with a short bow for hunting. I took the 28” triax to the rhinehart r100 and finished top 5 on both courses that weekend shooting against tons of glorified target rigs. I’m a 29.5” draw by the way. How much more bow do you need to shoot an animal? If you don’t like them, move on. The average person is what makes these companies continue to move forward and I can’t think of very many (average bow hunters) that would want to shoot a longer bow when they can shoot a shorter bow with the same accuracy. I just don’t see the advantage
Hard pill to swallow for most. Too much pride in liking something you want to hate so badly. Seems almost political?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't care what people shoot but I'm tired of the short bow craze and how the companies cater to it. Those of us who want to hunt with a bow longer than 35"usually have to get target bows. I had a 33" bow for a few years and didn't like it, never could get used to it. 35"is the shortest I can get comfortable with.

I hunted this year with a 38" bow and had no real issues. My one stand had a branch over my shoulder that the bow would bump if I didn't lean forward a bit but it was no big deal to overcome.

I also tied the bow to my pack to drag a deer out and it stuck above the pack less then a foot.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't care what people shoot but I'm tired of the short bow craze and how the companies cater to it. Those of us who want to hunt with a bow longer than 35"usually have to get target bows. I had a 33" bow for a few years and didn't like it, never could get used to it. 35"is the shortest I can get comfortable with.

I hunted this year with a 38" bow and had no real issues. My one stand had a branch over my shoulder that the bow would bump if I didn't lean forward a bit but it was no big deal to overcome.

I also tied the bow to my pack to drag a deer out and it stuck above the pack less then a foot.
It’s only going to get worse unfortunately. Most of the industry and archery community is plagued by bad form, posture, lack of coaching and equipment that only perpetuates issues in an archers ability to shoot to his or her full potential down the road.

As a coach, tech and former shop dealer it was and still is one of my biggest frustrations in the archery community along with releases that cause target panic due to how hot some of the triggers are. It’s not to say you can’t be the best possible archer with a short ata bow but majority are not and majority are robbing themselves of the best possible posture and form. Even at my 28” draw I refuse to shoot anything under a 33” axle to axle. I’ve hunted pop up blinds(the tall boy versions), ground blinds, tree stands, spot n stalk, etc... with my 60” recurve with little to no issue so the “necessity” in the marketing for them is mostly null in my experience.

The western hunting scene where I live for the most part doesn’t even consider bows below 32” ata and most shops stock little to no short axle bows. For the demanding and tough long distance shots we see out here. The short axle bows rob a lot of potential in posture and form which translates to less accuracy and consistency.

When you remove the Mathews pro shooters for a moment who peddle these short ata bows. Who as far as Individuals are considered the top instructors and shooters shooting a short ata bow in their off time? Douglas? Dudley? Cousins? Pierce? George Ryals? Gillingham? Hanes? Braden? and I can keep going. None of them, why because it does NOT promote the healthiest posture, best possible head position, cleanest form or easiest shot execution.

Some can shoot shortys pretty well but every student I help who “had” a short axle bow eventually gets away from that facet and is happier for getting something that doesn’t force them to scrunch their head down, compress their front shoulder or feel like they are shooting small and collapsed. A normal size ata at least will open the shooter up in posture, get those traps relaxed, get that head at a neutral position end allow for a much healthier and consistent pull through the shot.

The way I look at short axle bows is like the endless list of hair trigger releases out there that perpetuate punching triggers and eventually cause many shooters to have some sort of shot anticipation. Just because it’s the main sellers in the industry doesn’t necessarily make it the best piece of equipment to help mold shooters into the best possible archers they potential could become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts