Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We shoot the FITA distances (30m to 90m) as well as the 18 meters. We have no problem with our peep height we've set for the 30m to 90m.It doesn't change.When we get to 18 meters, we notice that we have to get our head lower to be able to line up to the target, or move our peep up.If we move the peep upward, we are then faced with the task of lining up the peep as it twists.
We use the SuperBall Peep Housing and super peep aperture with lens. And as recommended, we've tied it to the bow string.

I've read fron this forum that Winner's Choice solves twisting peep problems. But will the peep stay aligned if I move it up? To what extent, in terms of inches will the peep stay aligned(1/4 inch?, 1/2 inch?...etc?), that is, without having to be maneuvered (such as interchanging strands).

Are we doing our sighting incorrectly? What's your experience regarding peep heights at these distances. Do they change?

Any further info is appreciated.

If Winner's Choice is the answer, then we'll get it. What's your opinion?

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't believe a different string will make any difference. Moving the peep up will re-position it in reference to your face. Biggest factor will be how much twist you have in the string. If your current string has a lot of twist and you are able to replace it with a different string - Winner's Choice, etc. - that does not require as much twist to hold the peep alignment, then yes, a different string may be the answer.

Question is, how much are you trying to move the peep? I used one bow this year for indoors (18m and 20yd) and then turned around and used it outdoors for FITA and field and I don't recall having to move the peep more than possibly 1/16" to center up for outdoors. Don't recall having to re-align the peep for this small a movement in the bowstring either.

If it were me and I was trying to use the set-up for everything from 18m to 90m (actually I do use my current bow for that since field requires shots as short as 20ft), I would find a compromise position a little lower in the string which allowed me to be able to still reach my anchor at 90m - although maybe a little looser in the anchor than before - and not feel quite so scrunched up at 18m. Big range I'll admit, but, I think that beats moving your peep everytime you go from FITA 90m to indoors and 18m. NOT good on your bowstring to be constantly moving the peep up and down in it - unless you are taking the tension (i.e. pressing the bow) off the bowstring everytime you move it. Under tension, the bowstring can very easily be frayed and cut by slipping the peep up and down - regardless who's peep you use.

Just my opinion anyways...........................:)

>>----------->

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
adolf,

To answer your peep height question from 18m to 90m will WC strings fix this = NO.
the peep height varience is from moving the sight up and down to aquire the yardage needed to shoot fita distance, thus changing your anchor slightly or the sight picture you see at 18m or 90m.
winners choice makes a verry good but verry expensive string and work fine, as the same with any other LOW or NO stretch bowstring material ie 450+ 452, 8125, ultracam, ect.
most any low or no stretch string material will help with peep alignment problems due to string streatch or rotation,
Hope this helps out

KEN

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
no, moving the peep up on winners choice will change the position of the peep. I just did it sunday. I just had to move my d-loop with the peep. What winnners choice does is stop peep from rotating as you are drawing back, so wherever the peep is at rest, it should be at full draw. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts