Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep problem

1997 25
I thought I would give shooting a peep another shot just for fun, so I had one put on at a local pro shop. The problem is at full draw the peep is turned to the side. How can I fix this?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Two options, one is use a peep that has tubing attached and as you draw the tubing will pull your peep around so it is straight. Two and this is a better option, make sure you have a good quality string that won't stetch and install the peep (without tubing) so it is straight at full draw, you can do minor correction with your string loop

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Two options, one is use a peep that has tubing attached and as you draw the tubing will pull your peep around so it is straight. Two and this is a better option, make sure you have a good quality string that won't stetch and install the peep (without tubing) so it is straight at full draw, you can do minor correction with your string loop
+1 Well stated, short and to the point

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Just turn your loop in the same direction a little.

If your peep is turned right, twist your loop the same direction. if left turn left.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Forget using tubing.
No need for something that can break while your hunting. You don't need it.
I usually twist my string once it settles after shooting, usually 1/2 twist will get it where i need.
Some guys flip strands over.
Here's a link that might help you..........http://www.bowmancustomstrings.com/BCS/html/peep_rotation.html

· The Impartial Archer
24,831 Posts
I don’t use a peep anymore but I use to. Here is the way I see it. I still see a LOT of professional archers using the tubing and there must be a reason for it……it will always work. If it breaks on then you are not maintaining your bow well. Just like a rubber band you can see the wear on peep tubes and it's cheap and easy to replace so that should never happen. If it’s breaking without showing any wear then you probably have it WAY too tight. It takes very little force to line up the peep and insure proper peep rotation 100% of the time.

I use to shoot a ton of 3D and see the people that claim to never have issue let down once in a while rub the string with their nose or mouth or say I shouldn’t have shot because my peep wasn’t lined up so it’s rare but it does happen.

So, do you loose a few FPS or take a very small chance of missing a shot of a life time? IMO that’s the real question you need to ask. No right or wrong here just what is more important to you.

· Waiting on Season
14,938 Posts
i vote for peep tubing always works and like others have said its easy to maintain i hate having problems in the woods so what i do is carry an extra peep tubing with me already cut the length of the one that is on my bow and if you would get it caught on briers or limb but i have never had to use it and i replace it every year just as a precaution i have a custom made string and the peep rotates the way it is supposed to but i still dont take chances

· Registered
4,251 Posts
What corrections do I need to make to my string loop?
man forget all that nonsense and throw a rubber on. all that twisting and d-loop turning will drive a man nuts, and besides once your d-loop is socked down whatta you going to do loosen it to turn it:confused: and another thing even if you do get it lined up with all that twisting jazz how long do you think it's going to stay that way, strings are forever stretching and changing due to huminity, heat cold, or any adjustments you might make to limb bolts or tiller. so throw on a rubber and go hunting. i just can't understand all this don't use a tube stuff, every one i know uses them and without a problem! just change it once or twice a season and it will never snap and slap you in da face:wink:

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I don’t use a peep anymore but I use to. Here is the way I see it. I still see a LOT of professional archers using the tubing and there must be a reason for it……it will always work. If it breaks on then you are not maintaining your bow well. Just like a rubber band you can see the wear on peep tubes and it's cheap and easy to replace so that should never happen. If it’s breaking without showing any wear then you probably have it WAY too tight. It takes very little force to line up the peep and insure proper peep rotation 100% of the time.

I use to shoot a ton of 3D and see the people that claim to never have issue let down once in a while rub the string with their nose or mouth or say I shouldn’t have shot because my peep wasn’t lined up so it’s rare but it does happen.

So, do you loose a few FPS or take a very small chance of missing a shot of a life time? IMO that’s the real question you need to ask. No right or wrong here just what is more important to you.

45 yrs. hunting whitetails 10yrs. pro tour and i use a tube for the above reasons.....well stated

· Registered
5,628 Posts
yea then take it back again every other 2 weeks as the string and weather changes. put the tube on and fegadiaboud it....
Factory string maybe.

Any good quality aftermarket string will settle in once you shoot it a bit, and it will not move.
Now, if you hunt in sub freezing conditions, then bring your bow into a toasty warm house, then back out in the cold, yea, anything can happen.
If its cold where i hunt, i leave my bow in the truck, where it will be at the temp i will hunt in.
I use Winners Choice, and have never had my peep not be where i want it to be, cold or hot, rain or shine.
Lots of other good aftermarket string choices out there.

If you like a rubber on your peep, thats great, keep using it.
It's an accident waiting to happen, and i hope it don't cost you a buck some day.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I use the ol' rubber tubing. When I'm drawing on an animal I have a thousand things on my mind. I don't want to worry about peep rotation. It's just that simple.

I shoot quite a bit and break them several times during the year. You have options. I use quality strings, so the tubing isn't doing a lot anyway. In the summer I cut it a bit long, it always breaks at the post it slides on. When it breaks I pull off the piece on the post and slide the other end back on. It can break several times before I need a new piece. This time of year I replace it every 2-4 weeks. It's overkill I know, but the tubing is cheap!

· Registered
4,251 Posts
Factory string maybe.

Any good quality aftermarket string will settle in once you shoot it a bit, and it will not move.
Now, if you hunt in sub freezing conditions, then bring your bow into a toasty warm house, then back out in the cold, yea, anything can happen.
If its cold where i hunt, i leave my bow in the truck, where it will be at the temp i will hunt in.
I use Winners Choice, and have never had my peep not be where i want it to be, cold or hot, rain or shine.
Lots of other good aftermarket string choices out there.

If you like a rubber on your peep, thats great, keep using it.
It's an accident waiting to happen, and i hope it don't cost you a buck some day.
i've been using the rubber tubing since it came out sometime in the early 90s, killed dozens of deer and have never had a problem with it, but i know alot of guy's who have gone tubeless and drawn their bow to be looking at a sideways peep??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.