Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep rotating when drawing back

923 7
Hi,

I'm trying to confirm what I need to do before I go any further with my peep (G5 Meta).

My 2007 Bear Truth has the factory string, and it doesn't have many shots on it nor really any wear. When I put the bow away last fall the peep was a bit rotated left (as you look at it from the back). Upon taking it out last week to start shooting it again (because the snow is gone) the peep is even more rotated to the left; in fact it pretty much faces exactly away from me. When I draw back, it rotates back toward me about 90 degrees so it's now almost perpendicular to my line of sight.

My question is - is there a way to adjust the string so it stops rotating when I pull back? Or do I just need to rotate the peep so that when I pull back it rotates into correct alignment?

My other bow (different brand), which I replaced the string on 2 years ago, has the peep in perfect alignment and it never moves when drawing back. So, I know it's possible for the string to "stay" in the same orientation during a draw.

Thanks for any tips you may have.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Hi There..

I have the same problem like what you have now but i manage to solve it by reading through afew posts in this forum.

First reason is for me, i make my own string i didn't pre-stretch it much. So what i will do is i shoot that shoot to afew shots about 50 -100 then i install the peep because as the string stretch, the twist rotation of the string will move slightly.

Next, I am using the spectra peep tying method. Here's the link : http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=360041&highlight=tying+in+a+peep

Just to take note that during the tied up, some folks may say that backserve in the same rotation of the twist of the string but for me i don't it depends. I will backserve to that direction that i want the peep to be align with. So this helps me to align the peep.

Thirdly, Here's another post you might want to read, its by mike cooper:
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=221152

This will helps you too..

Hope it helps..

Cheers

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link.
I knew there was a "rotate the string" trick but couldn't recall how it was supposed to be done.

Apparently the factory string on this bow has taken a while to stop rotating. I'm not quite ready to buy a new string for it, but I can see how my aftermarket string on my other bow has been easier to fine tune with regard to the peep.

· Banned
1,535 Posts
I had this problem on my Prestige with a new vapor trail string. I added about 6 twists to the string to shorten draw length a bit and now it pulls back with zero rotation. I assumed that the string had stretched a little and the extra twists brought is back to spec and helped stabilize the string. Worth a shot and costs you nothing if it does not work.

· Registered
295 Posts
Hi Dr. Vette..

If you want to fine tune your peeps. If you are using the spectra method which i provide the link to you. Do not wind the string tightly together, just wind it as you can see some seperate in between n thats allows you to move slightly of your peep.. Or else
you might want to go to specialty archery website to search for peep tying method. There's is a video in their web and the tieing method are useful for slight adjustment of the peep than after you have make the adjustment, try to use the spectra peep tying method as it will make it permenant without any movement of the peeps when you are shooting..

Cheers & Good Shooting

· Back Yard Champion
35,899 Posts
General Archery Information forum - note far less wrapping between serving and peep. Also, I don't back serve as other thread show. I serve 8 or 10 wraps, leave enough string to wrap 8 or 10 more times and cut off. I then use a short waxed loop of serving and lay along the string and wrap the remaing 8 or 10 times, run end of serving through loop and pull loop with pliers to end of serving under wraps and out. I then cut and leave about a 1/4" and burn off (melt) as you would a loop end. Or, you can cut flush with serving. Mainly, I use this method as the serving tool and back serving can be a pain, especially if fumble fingered as I am. Will supple pic if desired.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=468059

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.