Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned to the world of wheel bows in the fall of 2010 after 3 decades as a trad archer/bowhunter. Thus I had a lot of catching up to do, as I was very much a DIY'er while involved with stickbows. My first cam bow was purchased used and the string was marginal, which confounded me a bit because I learned to build Flemish twist strings for my recurves and had not purchased a string in many years. I made it through the fall of 2010 with the stock string and inquired of a buddy about potential string makers for a replacment set. He suggested one that a friend had used that were very reasonable in price, so I ordered a set and asked my nephew who owns a bow press to help me set them up last spring. Thus began a 10 month period of growing frustration with endless peep rotation.........:angry:

I will not go into detail about that string maker or the extent of my experience with their strings, other than to say that I became a regular visitor to my nephew's home over the course of 2011 to repeatedly adjust my peep. He is a fine young man and very helpful, but by the beginning of hunting season he was also getting frustrated with my string situation and STRONGLY suggested that I try the brand of string he had been shooting for a few years......JBK strings. He told me a story about his bow malfunctioning and ruining a served area of his JBK string, which Omen fixed for him under warrranty and that sounded like the type of man I wanted to deal with. So I ordered a set in late November and we installed them right after hunting season ended in early January.

After allowing it to settle in for a few days and shooting it sporadically (I was shooting my backup during that time), my nephew set up a temporary peep and invited me to come over to get it tuned in for me. The peep moved just a tad while settling in, but once we had it adjusted it has been rock solid and has not moved a bit. After all the frustration during 2011, it is amazing to grab my bow and find the peep in the same perfect position week after week. :thumbs_up It is refreshing to know that peep rotation is NOT something that has to be endured or being forced to use tubing to keep it aligned.

In addition to function, the three color scheme I selected looks great and the craftsmanship of the serving is top notch as well. The specs were right on and my bow is shooting great. I know there are many reputable string makers that frequent AT and have a loyal following, but my experience with JBK (not to mention the 18 month warranty) has made a believer out of me. Thanks, Omen.

·
Team 4 Play
17,306 Posts
Omen is good like that :thumbs_up I have a set on order from him now and have bought sets from him in the past and his work and also his customer service have always been top notch.

·
Philippians 4:6-7
2,316 Posts
I just put on a set of JBK and am having terrible trouble with the peep rotating. At full draw if you just hold it you can literally watch the peep rotate to the left. I emailed them a bit ago but they may be closed for the weekend. Anyone have any idea if this is a string issue or something I can do to tune it better? Thanks!

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
I made the switch!
4,703 Posts
I just ordered a set for my EVO. I sent him a couple of PMs and he was very helpful and quick to respond. I can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have had 15-20 sets built by JBK over the last 4 or so years for my bows as well as friends bows...I have never had a single issue with rotation...JBK builds a great set of strings..always very helpful with any questions after the sale as well.

·
AT Sponsor
2,603 Posts
We did answer your e-mail and your pm.Call us on monday 207-212-1421 and we will be more then happy to take care of this issue.Thanks
I just put on a set of JBK and am having terrible trouble with the peep rotating. At full draw if you just hold it you can literally watch the peep rotate to the left. I emailed them a bit ago but they may be closed for the weekend. Anyone have any idea if this is a string issue or something I can do to tune it better? Thanks!

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
2,316 Posts
JBK just emailed and are replacing my strings! They are the best! Thanks Omen. I'll be a customer for life. JBK rocks!!!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am really surprised that you had an issue with rotation, as mine have been dead perfect once settled in to the bow. Did you shoot it a bit and wait for the strings to settle before setting your peep? As mentioned, mine moved a touch from the initial position as they settled, but have not move a bit since shooting them in.

·
Registered
640 Posts
ordered a set for my assassin about a month ago. peep hasn't moved a bit since the initial 5-10 shots.

great customer service, and a great set of strings from jeff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I purchased a set of strings for my Hoyt alphamax 35 before Christmas! Installed them and my bow has never shot this good before! I think i have 300-400 shots thru it so far and my 1/4" meta hasn't moved a bit! Thanks again (omen) for the great craftsmanship!

·
2,316 Posts
I am really surprised that you had an issue with rotation, as mine have been dead perfect once settled in to the bow. Did you shoot it a bit and wait for the strings to settle before setting your peep? As mentioned, mine moved a touch from the initial position as they settled, but have not move a bit since shooting them in.
I did shoot it quite a bit. The peep would actually rotate right in front of my eyes at full draw! I even took it to Bass and Bucks and had their staff help me with it. They were confounded as well. I was honestly expecting JBK to offer some tuning advise at first, but not them. Right out of the gate they are going to build me new strings! That's awesome customer service!!! I will be buying from them from now on. Thanks to Omen and the whole JBK staff for your unparalleled support!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I have ordered at least a dozen sets of strings from Jeff at JBK over the last year and a half, and have had absolutely no issues with peep rotation whatsoever. He's kind of like my Ford truck...Quality is Job One!!! LOL!

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not surprised that Omen stepped up to rectify your issue. He has the best warranty (18 month) and stands behind it. I shot tonight after work and my peep continues to be dead center and bow performance is excellent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts