Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been trying building some strings out of the Brownell Rampage and the BCY Mercury and during my draw cycle, the peep rotates up to a quarter turn. I do not have this issue when I was using my BCY Trophy. After building the string on the endless loop jig, I would stretch it out at 325 lbs for up to 24 hours so the creep should be gone. I've seen some JBK strings from SK90 and that peep doesn't move during the draw cycle. It's starting to really get under my skin trying to figure out what was going on. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. I'm getting ready to say screw it and stick with blended materials.

·
Matt R
2,145 Posts
So, I've been trying building some strings out of the Brownell Rampage and the BCY Mercury and during my draw cycle, the peep rotates up to a quarter turn. I do not have this issue when I was using my BCY Trophy. After building the string on the endless loop jig, I would stretch it out at 325 lbs for up to 24 hours so the creep should be gone. I've seen some JBK strings from SK90 and that peep doesn't move during the draw cycle. It's starting to really get under my skin trying to figure out what was going on. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. I'm getting ready to say screw it and stick with blended materials.
Been building with 452X and Trophy since I started 6or 7 years ago. I never stretch for more then 1 1/2 hours and have never had a peep or tune problem with bows that have had my strings on, so I won’t switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Blended materials or non-blended materials....shouldn't matter. Countless builders build with both blended and non-blended materials without peep rotation. Seems like something must be wrong in the build process....but not knowing those details- any advice would just be a guess. Don't give up on either material just yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you are serving your string under too much tension, it will cause peep rotation. When I serve my string, I like to make sure the string bundles don't twist when I move my serving spool around the strings.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
For one thing, there's no need to stretch for 24 hours regardless of the material used. The strings won't see 300+lbs when they're on the bow anyway, even with a high poundage compression limb bow. Which leads to another thing: don't put them directly on the bow right off the jig as soon as you're done making them. Instead, when they're done paper clip the ends and put em in the bag, or hang them in your shop etc., for a bare minimum of overnight. But preferably they should sit somewhere completely relaxed for a couple of days. They need time to relax and shrink back down to their final lengths.

I've found that putting a main string on a bow immediately off the jig can lead to some peep rotation, though it'll clear up in a day or two after the string has shrunk down.

But the only thing you describe that is unusual is stretching for over a day; it's possible that's doing more harm than good. I would think an hour or maybe two max at 300+ lbs is probably all you need, plus of course, the time spent putting the final servings on.....

lee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts