Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which peep size do you guys use? I have been playing with a couple of peeps in the back yard this spring and have been impressed with the way they work in low light (actually in the dark). I swore off peeps about 15 years ago because of losing shots in low light, but they were the small hole version. I have the 3/16" Fletcher on my bow and can see my pins(lighted) past dark just fine thru the peep hole.I do shoot with both eyes open. I think I am going to try them this year and I really do not see a dis-advantadge in low light with the models I have tested (1/4" and 3/16" G5 and Flethcer models). How many of you other peep users have no problem in low light or dark conditions and what size peep works best for you?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I missed a border-line booner whitetail in 2003 because my peep (1/8") was too small right at dusk. I guess I should've learned when I shot a doe a few weeks earlier right at first light. I won't use anything but 1/4" for hunting from now on. Smaller ones are great for spots or 3D, but beware using one for hunting.

Jared

·
Registered
781 Posts
I use the 1/4" on bows with Copper John sight. The sight ring fits perfectly. I use 3/16" with the smaller King Cobra sight on another bow. I like my front sight ring to fit the peep. Generally bigger is better, and if I center the bright sight hood ring in the peep, my sight is as accurate as I can shoot. More accurate than my range estimation :))

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I use the 3/16", I cannot believe that the 1/4" is only 1/16" larger. The 1/4" looks more like 1/8" larger.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
I use the 1/4" Meta Peep. I was worried it would be too large to shoot accurately, but it is perfect. I get a good amount of light and can still center my sight frame perfectly inside of it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I use a Specialty Hooded super peep that has a 1/4" opening, but I also have reducers that I can screw in to make it 3/16", 1/8, add clarifiers or whatever I want. For hunting, I use the 1/4 size and love it.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Hunting - 1/4" meta peep, better to have enough light than to be able to drive nails.

Target - 1/8"

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I've got a 3/16" on both of my other hunting rigs and they've worked fine, but on my new bow, 3/16 is too small to view the pin guard, so I'm gonna have to go 1/4.

Any of you guys use a Spot Hogg Real Deal and a 1/4" peep? Does it align to the pin guard?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I experimented with 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 inch peeps earlier this year.

The 1/8 is clearly too small to get enough light in low-light situations.

The 1/4 inch is great, but I must center my Spot Hogg housing within it with lots of margin around the edges.

For my draw length, 3/16 seems to be perfect. It still lets in plenty of light for low-light yet it is easy to center the sight housing within it.

It will also depend on how close you get the peep to your eye - and it will vary with individuals. Ideally, you should try them out yourself. They really are not expensive. (At least the Fletcher TruPeeps are not.)

Ray

·
Registered
143 Posts
Any of you guys use a Spot Hogg Real Deal and a 1/4" peep? Does it align to the pin guard?
Which pin guard do you have? The 1/4" peep works perfect on my Spot Hogg Hunter sight with the large pin guard.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Which pin guard do you have? The 1/4" peep works perfect on my Spot Hogg Hunter sight with the large pin guard.
I guess it's the large. The 3/16 lines up perfect on my other bows....one has a TR, the other a Copper John. The 3/16 on this bow doesn't allow sight of the pin guard ring.

Thanks for the info. I'll get a 1/4" ordered. :)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
i use 1/4" for hunting and 1/8" for 3D.

·
12,018 Posts
I have used the Fletcher tru peep and the G5 Meta peep in 1/4" I liked both but the fletcher did not glare as much for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always used the 1/4 and then drill it out as big as possible without affecting the structure of the peep. Works great for me in low light.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
I had a 3/16's peep in place and called in this great whitetail across an alfalpha field to 30 yards.. sun was down and it was a grey day. final moments...
couldn't see him thru the peep!
at all!!
He was starting to circle to catch the wind and I shot at him instintive and shot high!
clean miss :(
I use a no-peep now,,,, and haven't had it happen since..
yet ;)
a 1/4 incher may have had him tagged! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts