Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed new cables and a string (Zebra ZS) on my bow. All went well. I instralled a new fletcher tru peep and I cannot keep the peep from rolling any ideas, hints. I tried removing a twist or two, no good.

HELP
Tony:confused:

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,493 Posts
tman704 said:
I just installed new cables and a string (Zebra ZS) on my bow. All went well. I instralled a new fletcher tru peep and I cannot keep the peep from rolling any ideas, hints. I tried removing a twist or two, no good.

HELP
Tony:confused:
It could be your center serving. If it is too tight, or too close to the peep, it can cause problems. Also, sometimes a string just needs time to settle in; and some never will.

·
Occam's Razor
9,096 Posts
You need to shoot it about 100-200 times and let it settle in and then give it a try.....................ck

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Ditto to what Oxford said.

But, just out of curiosity, what kind of bow??

Many strings will roll a peep, the main idea is to get it to stop square to your eye. As long as it stops in the right place, I could care less about roll:D

Most strings, as stated above, need to be shot in.

Good luck.
Monte

·
Registered
845 Posts
yep, shoot it. I had the same trouble on my new string. The nock will also help hold string in the same spot after break-in. If things don't get better try tubing.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I've gotta go with what EPLC said. I'm still breaking in the string on my LX. It came with a Zerbra string on it and I probably wont be making a 452 string and cable set for it until I get settled in over in Okinawa, Japan. In order to get the draw length where I needed it, I had to put some twists in the string. I couldn't get the peep to settle. What I ended up doing to fix the problem was take off the factory centerserving and put on a new one. I also use a relatively short center serving too. About an inch above and below the loop. All in all it's about 2 1/2 inches of center serving. When you starti twising the string the areas under the serving isn't twisting like the rest of the string and when you draw the bow, the string is twisting but the area under the center serving really isn't. That's why the peep is moving on you. After you redo the center serving, you might have to put in or take out a twist or two, but that should solve your problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bow is an older HCA Excalibur and I have other peep sights that I can install, I liked the larger aperature for hunting of the tru peep

Tony

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
tru peeps

It is true that you need to break in the string but if you separate the strands evenly then make the attempt of putting some twist in you should have no problem...I dont know what other strings do i build my own but you need to remember you need only make a single twist at a time to get it square to the eye. Dont over twist!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The trick

The trick to keeping your peep rotation down to a minimum (zero ideally) is to buy or make a string that has been prestretched. Winner's Choice and other manufaturers use this technique. (look for postings on this site). Although the difference in twists under the center serving is a factor, the greatest contributor is uneven individual strand tension caused by small variations in length. That is why prestretched string perform better. Serving direction and sequence also make smaller differences. It's all about evening out the tension in the string bundles to make them work as one, not many.

If you want to use the string you have, take it off your bow and stretch it under 200 - 400 lbs of load for a day. Then put it back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts