Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting a 2014 Hoyt charger and this is my first bow.

I've set the peep to the highest it can get and I still feel that it is 1 inch too low. Its right up there where the serving starts.

Anything I can do? Other than opening up the serving and wrecking these strings that is.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
If you do not want to change your anchor point the only options are to cut the serving unwrap it until you have clearance then re-tie it... The other option is to take a measurement of where you need the serving to end and have a custom string made with custom serving layouts, most custom string companies won't charge you any extra.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
Since it is your first bow take a picture of yourself at full draw and send it here or to me in a pm and let me look at what is going on before you start doing things. It may be a simple issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do not want to change your anchor point the only options are to cut the serving unwrap it until you have clearance then re-tie it... The other option is to take a measurement of where you need the serving to end and have a custom string made with custom serving layouts, most custom string companies won't charge you any extra.
These are a set of custom strings, at the time I wasn't aware I had an issue with the peep height and didn't think to have a shorter serving span, guess I do now.

Padget, I'll get some pictures in tomorrow when I'm at the range.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
the longer yr d.l., the more effect this has cause of string angle. that's why I sold my maxxis 31. hoyts shelves are high on the riser. this is necessary to accommodate the cam style.
if I ever purchase another hoyt, itll have at least a 34 in. ata.

not sure if this is yr problem, but it sure doesn't help any thing. this hi-shelf does aid in bow balance, and is imo, 1 reason they are podium bows in the Olympics, etc. but the target bows are usually 36 in. ata bows or right around that , so the effect is minimal as far as peep height and string angle.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
Peeps as a general rule are high in the string on Hoyt bows. But it sure sounds like your anchor,point is too high. Post pictures of you at full draw. IMHO it's your anchor point that needs adjusting.

·
Registered
20,596 Posts
Peeps as a general rule are high in the string on Hoyt bows. But it sure sounds like your anchor,point is too high. Post pictures of you at full draw. IMHO it's your anchor point that needs adjusting.
That's backwards. If his peep is too low and needs to go higher for him to see through it, his anchor would be too low. Personally I think it's rather rare to find a person with too low of an anchor. Too high is very common but too low is pretty rare.

OP if you didn't have this problem before the custom strings, then it could just be that they have more serving on them and you need to remove a little bit from the end serving.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
This is what happens with these damn short a to a bows........ I'll never own one under 33".....prefer 34-35"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anchor point problems? Is the space between thumb and index finger around your jaw bone, thumb under jaw bone, base of index finger just touching your ear? The string should just touch the tip of your nose at full draw.

Is it point of impact issue?....move the front sight down. I find it hard to believe that Hoyt would serve the string wrong. Call Hoyt?

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
only 2 human errors cause this. 1 is incorrect nock height, the other is bad anchor. you can expect a high peep with this string angle with all things otherwise being correct.

recheck your nock height and the ata. it might help a little. and post a pic or 2 at full draw. very little you can do if both are close. other than remove some serving. good luck.

dale, dale , dale, we know you know better..lol

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I've also have had this issue before. A hoyt charger is 31 ata and if you have a longer draw 28.5-29 the string angle will be pretty steep. Say your shooting a thumb release and you put your index finger knuckle under your jaw bone. And try to touch your nose to the string you will always feel like your dipping your head into the string and you'll feel the peep is to low. Even if you can handle that your sight will bottom out no more adjustments and you'll still be 4 inches high at 20 yards. When you move your anchor point high your peep will lower. String angles and longer draw length really need to find a bow that fits you.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
That's backwards. If his peep is too low and needs to go higher for him to see through it, his anchor would be too low. Personally I think it's rather rare to find a person with too low of an anchor. Too high is very common but too low is pretty rare.

OP if you didn't have this problem before the custom strings, then it could just be that they have more serving on them and you need to remove a little bit from the end serving.
Stand corrected. Thank you.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
This is what happens with these damn short a to a bows........ I'll never own one under 33".....prefer 34-35"
We agree on at least two things........lol. This and this: Liberalism is a mental disorder

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry it took awhile.

I have to duck to look through the peep. I'm a 29 DL, at least its what I've been shooting.

Might as well get some form feedback as well.

Its hard to see but my anchor point is basically the center of my index and middle finger knuckle cradling the corner of my jaw. The string just about touches the front of my lip, maybe a bit too much.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
looks like nock point is too high?
If he lowers his anchor his peep will come down also and he will need to raise his peep even more than he already feels he needs to....

OP you look a little long with your draw based on your stance is leaning back(hard to tell 100% in the pics). if you keep your anchor where it is and shorten your draw 1/2" or 1" depending on your assessment, it would increase the string angle resulting in a higher peep and it might helo your peep issue. if not you may need to raise your anchor slightly.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
You know, the more I look at the picture the more something just doesn't look right. I realize you are kind of aiming down a little but the arrow seems to be on a very downward angle and the nock height seems to be above the rest a bunch. So if you do have a major tuning issue where the tiller or cam sync and nock height are really off that may be putting everything out of wack.

I am hoping that I am just looking at the picture and seeing it wrong but at the same time this could really be a big deal if I am seeing things correctly.

Secondly, your bow setup is kind of a weird one where you have a super short bow and hunting quiver on it but at the same time you have a slider sight. As big a guy as you are with a 29 inch draw you would be so much better off getting fitted to a good 35 or so inch ata bow so that things fit correctly with the string angles. With your slider target sight and a 3d specific bow you can still hunt with it but fit much better and shoot competitions with it nicely.

I would like to see the bow at rest from the side so I can see the nock height in relation to the rest placement if you would please.

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
The more I look I am almost convinced there is a tuning issue, look at the angle of the arrow pointing down compared to the dove tail of the sight. Do you guys see it is on a steep decline compared to the sight bar?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts