Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a G5 meta peep for my switchback XT, and I can't keep it from being twisted to the left at full draw. I can still see the target, but the peep is still slightly turned. I also am not getting consistent groupings as I did with my old true peep with tubing. I got new Vapor trails put on with the new peep, and I'm considering another peep. Any idea what I need to do to fix the peep twist? Any suggestions for other good peeps out there?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sometimes it takes a while to "train" a new peep. I cant stand it so I simply twist the knots on my D loop around so it lines up with the peep at full draw..instant fix.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,992 Posts
changing peeps wont help you,

something i have found over the years that works is...........

try reserving the peep a little closer or farther away from its center.

what i mean is ....
if it is .250" from the center of the peep to where the serving starts to squeeze the string back together on each side of the peep,
try reserving so there is .300 from the center to where the serving starts..

i have found that by playing with this,
i can get a peep that likes to line up slightly turned,
to line up straight...

it always works for me:darkbeer:.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've shot vapor trail, too, and sometimes the string needs to settle. It usually looks good after about 25-30 shots, but you'll find that even sitting overnight, the string still stretches and that peep will move.

My suggestion is to keep the setup (I shoot a Meta peep, too) and have the shop put a half or whole twist in the string to get it lined up.

After that, you should be able to move your loop around the string to pull the peep into alignment.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
how about adding a twist to the string? Or putting and offset number of strands on one side of the peep?

·
Premium Member
10,924 Posts
OK, I've read enough of these things and now have to ask. Everybody always recommends twisting the string loop around to help line up the peep. OK, I'll buy that although it's what I consider a bandaid for a string rotation problem.

But what about those who don't use a string loop? Like me? I use a rope release. I know what my answer would be, but those with less experience that don't shoot a loop need to know.

·
Registered
484 Posts
shoot the string in first

You have a new string. Dont go hog wild putting the bow in a press and rotating the string just yet- unless you have absolutely no peep to look through right now. IF you can rotate your loop enough to get the peep to where you can see through it. Shoot out that string another 50 shots - even if just at a close bale in the garage. Once the peep is stable, now, put your loop straight and draw the bow back and see which way you need to rotate the string to get the peep in the right place. Sometimes just flipping the peep will work, or sometimes you need to flip the peep 180 and rotate the string. When I say rotate, I mean put the bow in the press, unhook the string where it attatches to the bottom cam, unravel it aroun the top idler or the top cam, depending on what type of system you have, pull it tight, add a half a rotation or a whole rotation depending on how much you want to turn the peep, and then keeping tension on the string wrap it back around the top wheel or cam and then back around the bottom cam and hook it back onto the bottom cam without loosing track of the string position. If you have a bowpress (and I recommend one) you will get to where you can do this quickly and easily. It is very important to come around the top wheel or cam and pull tight and twist. If you dont do that, then I have found, you may be able to get the peep in the proper position, but sooner or later, when the string catches up to itself, the peep may rotate a bunch for seemingly no reason. Well it would be because you didnt do it right to begin with.
I dont think there is anything wrong at all with the brand of peep you have. They are all going to do the same. I think you will be glad you got rid of the rubber tubeing. You can also swap strands to get the peep where you want it, but I dont recommend that as I believe it puts undue stess on the string and it seems that whenever I have done that, my string starts fraying around the peep. Plus if you have a two tone string, it wont look right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

I aligned my loop with the peep, and it's looking better. I just shot 2" groupings at 30yds and 3" at 40yds. I will probably have to do some minor adjustments as the string settles, but I'm feeling better now. It is hard to go from a small peep hole to the bigger one I have now. I think it was easier to be consistent with the smaller peep, but the field of view looks better for hunting with this Meta peep. Thanks for the advice.
athenstiger

·
Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
There are two levels of peepsight misaligment -- major and minor. A major misalignment is easily corrected by experimentally adding or subtracting a half twist to the bowstring. With exceptionally good luck this will bring the peep into perfect alignment -- but I have never had such good luck. What I (and most others) end up with after correcting a major misalignment is a minor misalignment, which is not nearly as easy to correct as the major version.

One way to correct a minor misalignment is by experimentally swapping individual strands of the bowstring from one side of the peep to the other. But while some fellows have the patience to dink around with this method, I don't. It is in fact the only thing about the entire craft of archery that I despise. I have spents hours trying to eliminate minor misalignments by this method but the peep always ends up tilted just a little in one direction or another, which drives me nuts.

I know of two relatively simple ways of getting the peep to align perfectly with every draw. One way is to experimentally offset a new D-loop on the string until pulling it rotates the string just enough to bring the peep into perfect alignment then super-tightening the loop in that position.

Another way is to attach one of these little gimmicks to the bowstring:

This is a T.R.U. Speed-Nok. It is attached to the nocking point on the bowstring. Once adjusted and tightened down, nocking an arrow over it rotates the string to bring the peep into perfect alignment every time.

These devices are available from Lancaster or Cabela's for about $12.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,992 Posts
seriously , you guys should try this.

its much easier than swapping strands twisting the string or moving your d-loop,
and its something that can be done by most anyone and without a press..

changing peeps wont help you,

something i have found over the years that works is...........

try reserving the peep a little closer or farther away from its center.

what i mean is ....
if it is .250" from the center of the peep to where the serving starts to squeeze the string back together on each side of the peep,
try reserving so there is .300 from the center to where the serving starts..

i have found that by playing with this,
i can get a peep that likes to line up slightly turned,
to line up straight...

it always works for me:darkbeer:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.