Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size of peep is better to use. The one I currently use is probably the biggest you can get. Is it better to use a smaller peep and does it help with accuracy?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I use one that...

rings my sight. I am using a HHA XL so I have a pretty large peep sight. I just center the sight in my peep.

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think it depends on what sight you're using, and your personal preferences. I use a medimun size on one bow with a crosshair type sight, and a large for the bow with Trophy Ridge sight because, as mentioned, it "rings" my sight. Available light is a consideration also. Generally speaking, the smaller apature will be more accurate because there's less margin for error, but it's probably not the best choice for hunting. If you just disipline yourself to keep your pin in the CENTER of the peep, a larger peep will be fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My hunting peep is 1/8 inch. It lets lots of light in for early mornings and late afternoons. Smaller peeps make it too hard to see your pins during hunting or indoor shooting situations.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
I can't speak from experience but I can easily understand why a 1/8" or larger peep would be best for hunting, especially in dim light. But for target shooting the smallest aperture you can use comfortably is best, because the smaller the hole the better your eye focuses on the target image.

The ideal peep aperture is one that closely encircles your scope body. You don't want the scope body floating around within a wide peep aperture, and you don't want a tiny aperture floating around the scope lens within the scope body.

If you don't want to buy a bunch of peepsights to find out which one fits you best, get a 1/16" Fletcher Tru-Peep. If it's too small, wrap some tape around the shank of a (sharp) 1/8" drill bit and work it by hand (don't use a drill) to enlarge the hole. Then use candle smoke or a marker pen to blacken the bored hole.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For hunting for me its 3/16 but I also have a Sword sight with a round pin gaurd that seems to be perfect with my peep.Just a hair smaller to center in peep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts