Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep Sight

927 21
Alright I have a question with my new bow set up. I have a large guard Spot Hogg sight which is 2 3/8" and my peep sight is something small like 3/16 or something. My bow is already tuned and everything with the peep served in, and I was wondering if it would be okay to use a drill bit to make the peep a little bigger on the inside. I am not sure if this may cause any problems or not, I only want to increase the hole a little bit.

And I was told not to use a G5 peep on my 24 strand string Elite since G5 peep is not strong enough and it would break. I can not buy a new peep, so let me know my possibilities. I am not sure of the name brand with this peep either. :darkbeer:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
310 Posts
id be nervous about drilling it because it could become too weak... but worth a try... make sure you take it out of the string first

I'm dealing witht he same issue right now.. I just switched to a g5 optix xr and its massive, so i need to switch to a 1/4 inch... not looking forward to it...

· Registered
7,583 Posts
No i have done it and it tore one half of the string off!!!! Dont do it

· Registered
552 Posts
I would not attempt to drill it out while it is in the string that goes without words. I would just shoot it like it is and save up for a super peep or another brand that allows you to switch the size easily. I shoot a 3/16 for indoor spots and depending on the lighting outside and the weather I can easily remove that and go with a larger size.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
using a drill on the peep while it is in the string is very hazardous to the string (trust us, we have learned the hard way)

you can probably do it by hand though -- just hold the drill bit and twist it with your fingers; do it in several passes using the next size bit that you have and only remove a little at a time

however, if you can buy the size you need, you're much better off -- no big deal to switch a peep, easy to get it back to the same spot

· Registered
223 Posts
Besides the danger of nicking the string. You most likely will ruin the peep. The one thing that is important to getting a clear image is having a sharp thin edge to the peep, if it is rounded or distorted in any way the peep will be no good. You will also get some drill marks in the wall of the peep that will distort light and not give you a clear image.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Buy a 1/4 peep and swap them out.......:)

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Ok Zach....

Take ONLY THE RIDGE inside out. with a Bit just BARELY Larger...

DO NOT USE A DRILL!!!!

Only your FINGERS it works nice and easy and Take a "sharpie and Black out the inside.

done it to every 3/16th peep i have ever owned.

spin it back and forth in your FINGERS and it will be Fine. :darkbeer:

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EVEN IF you guys recommended doing it, I still would have been very hesitant as I do not want to do it.

So I guess I will just buy a different peep... I will prolly go 1/4".

If I do switch peeps, should I make sure that the split that is currently present remains the same when putting a different peep on? The tension in the strings I have right now have already been neutralized through about 500 shots or so. So there will not be any more string twist or anything. So when putting on my new peep should I just keep the same split (individual bow strands) the same as it is now with a smaller peep? COULD installing a new peep, the way I am doing it, just swapping them out keeping everything the same, affect the timing of my cams or anything else tuning wise?

nuts&bolts, I need ya man! :D

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Zach....

DO NOT USE A DRILL!!!!

Only your FINGERS it works nice and easy and Take a "sharpie and Black out the inside.

EVEN IF you guys recommended doing it, I still would have been very hesitant as I do not want to do it.

So I guess I will just buy a different peep... I will prolly go 1/4".

If I do switch peeps, should I make sure that the split that is currently present remains the same when putting a different peep on? The tension in the strings I have right now have already been neutralized through about 500 shots or so. So there will not be any more string twist or anything. So when putting on my new peep should I just keep the same split (individual bow strands) the same as it is now with a smaller peep? COULD installing a new peep, the way I am doing it, just swapping them out keeping everything the same, affect the timing of my cams or anything else tuning wise?

nuts&bolts, I need ya man! :D
So which one of these should I do?

· Registered
4,635 Posts
Ok Zach....

DO NOT USE A DRILL!!!!

Fine Dont Take My advice!!!

Just kidding....:darkbeer:

It will work though. i have done it to 20-30 peeps.. Over the last 20something years....

Just be sure to only take out the ridge inside it. Or Not :embara:

· Registered
2,857 Posts
just go get a new peep for goodness sake. If you are using fletcher, the peep is the same size no matter what the hole is. cam timimg....... :eek: Zach.... you'll be fine. Besides we're all your friends heere, would we lie to you?

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright I am NOT going to use a drill. Don't worry :D

I just need my above post answered about the tuning process if it will be a difficult thing to switch out the peeps or the overall simplicity of my situation. In other words, will it be just a simple swap out with nothing else affected or not? :noidea:

18javelin, I am still considering that...

· Registered
2,919 Posts
you can just pull the old peep out and put the new one in its place . . . if you're careful you can even do this without a bow press, just use something to spread the string a little (but be careful so you don't nick any strands) . . .

once the new one is in there, you shouldn't need any tuning, you just might need to move it up or down a hair to line up with your eye correctly

. . . . oops . . . .didn't catch the "lock thread" thing . . . you can do that yourself using "thread tools" at the top

· Registered
2,679 Posts
If you must do it on the string you may use a small round file and open it up go slow it will do the Job!. make sure to stay clear of the string but im sure you know that. I also used a Black marker on mine...........

· C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,688 Posts
Try changing your focal length .By moving your sight bar in or out. [Later

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.