Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot target and currently use a peep sight with the rubber tube, I noticed that Specialty offers a "Super Ball" peep sight with lens of various strengths. Depending on the strength of the scope lens determins the required peep lens. Questions are:

1. What is the purpose of having a lens in your peep sight?
2. What advantages are there?
3. Are they designed for use by the vision impaired?
4. Is a lens change required for different distances?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm new to the Super Peep also but the reason to have an enhancer in your peep is with a magnified lens the target image isn't always clear and an enhancer in the peep solves this problem. For the most part. Depending on target distance your eye quality and the magnification of your scope depends on which enhancer to use. I'm far from a Pro so Correct me if im wrong Gents but I think this might help you.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
1. What is the purpose of having a lens in your peep sight?
2. What advantages are there?
3. Are they designed for use by the vision impaired?
4. Is a lens change required for different distances?

Archer Jim hit many of the key points very well already. Just thought I'd add a couple additional comments and responses to your questions above.

1. As Archer Jim said, the purpose is to help clear up a blurry sight image viewed through a scope. Other things can also clear up the image, such as moving the scope closer to the eye or using a smaller aperture. But even then, sometimes this just isn't quite enough. Different people's eye work differently. Some don't find a clarifier particularly useful, some do. Typically the clarifier works best for a higher power lens (i.e. 6x or 8x) or in the case where you want to use a larger diameter aperture (sometimes a scope is less clear if you use a large aperture) you could then use a low power clarifier so the image remains clear.

2. As noted, sometimes seeing an image clearly is a benefit. Personally, when shooting spots, I actually like the image to be a little blurry. However, when shooting something like 3D where you might really need to pick up on minute details and lines a clarifier can help. Again, very individual thing. There are sufficient downsides to using a clarifier as well (image appears darker, chances of rain getting on the clarifier lens, sun glare, etc.) so these must be taken into consideration as well when deciding to use one.

3. Nope, not designed specifically for the vision impaired. I'm not even sure if the clarifier can be used in such a manner to assist someone with poor eyesight. Again, designed for the most part to clear up a blurry scope image common if shooting a high power scope or a large peep aperture.

4. No, a lens change is not needed for different distances. One size fits all kind of thing. Just find the peep aperture size, scope extension, and clarifier power that clears the sight picture up and use it for all distances.

Nice thing about the Super Ball Peep system is that it lets you more readily experiment with different aperture sizes and clarifier powers - no need to be taking the peep in and out of the string to change anything.

Hope any of this helps.

>>------>

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many Thanks to all. Your replys are very helpful and most informative. I now have a G&B scope with 3 & 4 power lens. Based on what I have just learned I am ordering a lens style peep sight with a #1 lens. It almost sounds too good to be true, we'll see...no pun intended. Thanks again to all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts