Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a smaller peep help much in accuracy and if it does is there any negative when using a smaller peep???? Thanks

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
it depends, some folks say it does and some folks say it doesn't you will get allot of different feedback. I do not shoot indoors, or 3d tournaments, I am strictly a bow hunter, I hunt whitetail deer. So this is my opinion, depending on the string angle depends on my peep size, also depending on how big my scope is depends on my peep size, for instance with my draw length of close to 30" on a mathews triax the string angle is steep so i need a 1/4' peep for me to be able to see the ring around my av41mm scope. A larger peep allows me to get more light into my peep allowing me to see better in low light conditions. Now if i was shooting a longer axle to axle bow with the same sight I may would need a 3/16" or a 7/32" its all personal preference. I do not notice a difference as far as accuracy goes!

do you hunt?
do you shoot tournaments?
do you shoot outdoor 3d?

allot of different variations, whats your draw length, what bow are you shooting?

I want to see my scope ring and have plenty of light that i can see until its illegal to shoot.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I've always shot 3/16 or 1/4 peeps. This year i'm shooting a single pin fast eddie with the small housing. Just for kicks i purchased a 1/8 peep. It took a little getting used to but yes i'm much more accurate. You really have to focus the sight housing to fit perfectly in the peep. Now that i've gotten used to it i thing it's going to be a good change. Plus less weight on your string.

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
Smaller more accurate but lets less light in & have problems seeing as it gets dark.

·
Registered
51,092 Posts
For hunting no smaller than 3/16", better with a 1/4". Any less than that in low light you will not see your target!
Now in excellent light, mainly indoors smaller is better.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I recently changed from a small to larger peep. Sorry, don't know actual dimensions. My shops advice was to get the size that when looking through it was the same as the circumference of my bow sight housing. They said for hunting and 3D that matching them as close as possible was another reliable way to insure you had a good anchor and you have lots of light to see with in low light conditions. With that configuration it is also very easy to see your level bubble too. I'm still getting used to it, but I think with the extra reference points my accuracy has improved. I messed a bit with a small one and tried a fellow shooters really small peep and struggled with them trying to find proper pin each time, but the real advantage for me was the bubble.

·
Hunter of many things
12,154 Posts
IMO its based on your scope size. Being able to center your scope in your peep is key for alignment and consistency. So you want your peep to be hair larger than your scope.

basic-3_orig.png

·
Registered
613 Posts
You should always match your peep to your sight housing. Size depends on housing size and draw length. For the most accuracy you need to be able to perfectly center your housing in the peep the exact same time, everytime. I put in a peep that allows a tiny Halo of light to be seen arround the sight housing. Too small and you lose your reference on centering the sight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A good thing to also checkout is the peep sight degree required based on your bow. If you get a 1/4 in 45deg. and would need a 37 you actually lose a lot of the peep sight size

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
A small peep will ruin hunts for you late and early. I PROMISE.
Not using a peep, at all, removing your peep, will help you kill more animals.
I mean, it is possible to simplify

If you shoot only targets and 3-D or have a bow specifically for that.
Please listen to the other contributors.

RF Out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Unless you are shooting super close I don't agree that taking a peep sight out will help you kill more animals. You should always strive for perfect consistency and taking out one of your reference points won't help but will hinder that. I believe if you have trouble seeing your pin in low light you need:
A.) Bigger size fiber in your sight
B.) Longer fiber
C.)a bigger sight housing. (It will allow you to use a bigger peep)

A peep used for hunting should be plenty big enough to allow enough light through to properly seeing your sight and Target.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Also if you need a bigger peep there is the "bonus ring" which goes around your housing and makes it a little bigger allowing you to up your peep size (thus allowing more light) to accommodate for a bigger housing

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
If you ever looked at a military rifle the peep flips.....and for good reason. The larger peep is for closer range the smaller for farther. But you can't have it ALL......that's why they do it that way. The bigger is less accurate but lets in more light and makes the targets more visible. The smaller gives you better accuracy but let's in less light.

It's like a camera aperture if ones size would do it all that would be awesome but it can't so you have to decide what works best for you. Basing it on the scope size is a good choice for a target archer but the bigger the peep for hunting the later you can hunt.

My peep is infinite...….like RF's...…….lol. It's lets in all the light there is available and a good consistent 3 point anchor does the rest.

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
i like 7/32", never had any issues with it in low/poor light. 3/16 was ok, but in low light it was not as good, 1/4" seems almost to big to me, 7/32" is a great size, at least for me.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,692 Posts
The old saying, "No Two People Are The Same."

I use a 1/8" peep for hunting and to me around dawn and dusk it looks the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

For competition I use a Specialty peep. Here, I can switch out orifices for the size I desire - outdoors smaller, Indoors larger. I don't need to see my scope housing, just be able to center my pin in the peep. I have taken the orifice out and just shoot with the housing. This allows a lot room around the housing to center in the peep and I seem just as accurate.

And I have used stick-on circles, dot and fiber optic pin, combinations of such.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
Smaller is better as far as precision goes. Where you put the arrows on the target is your accuracy.

I shoot in bowhunter class for some local tournaments and I've built some sight inserts for my sights that shrink down the scope size so that I can use a smaller peep. I did the same for my wife 2 weeks ago and she immediately went from having 2-3 arrows just sneak into the 8 ring on a 122cm face to now keeping them all in the gold 90% of the time at 60. It's because she can more precisely line up the smaller peep around the smaller scope. Works like a charm for target.

For hunting, I like to do the same thing except with the full sized scope. I like a 3/16" peep for my hunting setups. If you have a shorter DL, you may need a 1/4" peep. Larger peeps let more light in and in hunting, that's important.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts