Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size peep do most of you all shoot for 3d. And also what size do you think is probably the most common? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
this is gonna be all over the place... It's going to take trail and error with scope size, distance of the sight from the riser, how good your eyes are etc... Peep size is just a matter of finding out what you can see through, and what centers on your site housing..

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I shoot a 3/32 with a no 1 clarifier but I also shoot open class wife shoots a 1/8 on her hunter class rig.I like my peep to be small or large enough that I can't see around my sight or scope.I'm sure there will be some better options posted on here soon

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
i use 2 sizes both smaller than u can buy the smallest is about 1/64, along with a 12inch site bar 6 lens ,i where glasses but dont shoot with them . this combination gives me an in focus x works great for me
this set up is not very good for 3d dosnt allow u to see any of the animal just the spot IF you can find it

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
buy a specialty peep with a good assortment and play try to get a fit where your scope fits neatly in the peep with a corona of light around the scope this will help you establish a consistent site picture in 3d try and keep a good field of vision targets like the laying bore are very difficult to find the spot. if you can see the entire bore you know where the spot is. also move your site fore ward and back can fine tune your site pic

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I use a Nite Hawk peep. Because it eliminates the light diffraction from the peep hole my peep hole is smaller the 1/16 inch. I have also won our state 3-D championship using the Nite Hawk Peep.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A small peep sight lets in less light, so depending on the light conditions, the target might be too dim.

good shooting

Mike.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Watch this video and it will explain how a smaller peep can let in more light.
aller peep can let in more light

Interesting.. I'm gonna have to look into those more..

·
Registered
256 Posts
might try one of these as well.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
when I shoot in bright light my peep will barely allow the sight housing into the peep. When I shoot in dim light I can see the sight housing with no trouble. It is like the peep opens up in dim light. Just the opposite of what the night hawk guy is saying.

I do agree with him about the apparent location of the hole in the peep changes with lighting conditions.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not sure what to make about that night hawk guy. I don't even shoot with my dominant eye.

·
Vendor
25,443 Posts
Perry's no peep for me. Quicker target acquisition for hunting. Great in low light. Check alignment simultaneously while looking at the yardage pin. Been 3 d shooting and bowhunting 40 years. this is as good as I have found and I have a drawer full of peeps deer_20yd (1).jpg

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
With a Nite Hawk peep you are always sighting with the peep so your anchor becomes progressively more solid. Your goal is the draw your bow and have a perfect anchor with the pin in the center of the peep. All this happens with out though.

This is a a customers description of how it happens.

"I have gotten so used to my Nite Hawk Peep that the selection of the pin and the alignment of the pin in the box for perfect height and left right alignment was just automatic. Good thing, this all transpired in about 4 seconds.

I pulled as he was walking behind the set of trees at the very bottom right hand side of the picture, was frozen as he trotted through the first opening and then when he approached that log that is laying to the right of the high stump in the center of the picture I shot.

It was perfect, into the ribcage angled forward at about the 3rd or 4th rib.

So this is the third deer in a row I have placed a killing shot within an inch of my aim point using my peep sight. I love it, as I said I have gotten completely grooved on it's use. It's just part of my shot.

John" John web4.JPG johnshotweb2.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts