Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep/ string twist help

889 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Bamaarraslanger
I finally broke down and tried my first string installation on my Switchback. I got it installed, timed the cam and yoke, and got my nock point and loop and peep all installed and tied in. I shot the bow around 70 or more times to get my string settled. Believe it or not, it wasn't too hard for a first timer. I used LeEarl's dvd and some instructions online for Mathews bows that made it very easy.

Here is my problem. I can get the peep back in line twisting the string, but after 8 or 10 shots, it twists bad to my left (i'm a right hand shooter) and so does my loop. It gets out of line so bad, I can't even see through it. What can I do to correct this, it's making me pull my hair out? Thanks a million in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14,546 Posts
so now that its settled it does not do the same thing every shot? thats what im understanding is about every 10th shot it does something wild with twist

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it seems to creep that way after about the third shot. It's like it's not settled. I didn't think it'd take that many shots, but maybe I was wrong. :confused:

· Registered
939 Posts
I finally broke down and tried my first string installation on my Switchback. I got it installed, timed the cam and yoke, and got my nock point and loop and peep all installed and tied in. I shot the bow around 70 or more times to get my string settled. Believe it or not, it wasn't too hard for a first timer. I used LeEarl's dvd and some instructions online for Mathews bows that made it very easy.

Here is my problem. I can get the peep back in line twisting the string, but after 8 or 10 shots, it twists bad to my left (i'm a right hand shooter) and so does my loop. It gets out of line so bad, I can't even see through it. What can I do to correct this, it's making me pull my hair out? Thanks a million in advance.
If your peep and your nock are both rotating, then your string is trying to work out an imbalance in the number of twists on either side of the idler. Somewhere in the process of installing the new strings, one end of the string got twisted more than the other and the string is trying to work out that imbalance with each shot. Its a frustrating problem to have, but the solution is straightforward. :smile:

There are 2 solutions to get the string twists balanced again - 1 is easy and will probably solve the problem, the other is a bit more work, but will definitely solve the problem.

The quick remedy is to take 1 end of the string off the cam peg and unwrap it from the idler wheel, straightening the entire 90+" string. Then - without changing the number of twists in the string - manually work out an even distribution of twists through the string all the way to the end that is still pegged on the cam. The twists should then be evenly distributed throughout the string and you can run the string back over the idler wheel and onto the cam. From that point the twists will be balanced and you shouldn't have peep/nock rotation problems because the string will not be fighting against itself to work out those twists. You will, however, likely need to readjust peep height/nock height - that's just the inevitable truth when you have this problem, and I'm sorry :wink:

There is a chance, however, that you won't be able to get the twists all evenly worked out with the bow in the way and one end of the string still pegged. In that case, you're going to need to take the bigger move and start from scratch with the twists in the string. In that case, take the string completely off the bow and set up a couple pegs (nails, whatever else) on a table where you can get the string all stretched out. Then take all the twists out of the string, but - this is very important - count how many it takes (that is the number you'll need to get you back to the same string length for spec tuning issues). Then, begin putting twists in the string from either end back up to the same number of twists you had in the beginning. By now, there should be no doubt your string twists are enenly distributed and you can re-string the bow. Once again, you'll have to check nock/peed height because they will probably have changed.

There's the short and long of it (shameless pun), but I did save the best for last - there is a 3rd option! A 3rd option is to just keep shooting your bow, knowing your strings are imbalanced, and just wait for it to work out the problem itself. It will eventually stop rotating and the twists will even out. The only problem with this option is you might need a new string by then anyway, cause it'll take thousands of shots :set1_rolf2::frusty::no: I'm sorry bud, that was mean. Just tryin to lighten the mood. I hope you get it all worked out soon bud :thumb: Let me know if any of that strikes you one way or another. :cheers:

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty, that's what I'll have to do then. Thanks for the help. I'll get after it one of these days. I had to take a break from it for a little while. Those last couple of days fooling with it really got to me. Lucky for me, there are fish to catch. :thumbs_up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.