Archery Talk Forum banner

Peep ?

541 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  sits in trees
this past weekend i was up north bowhunting and on saturday at last light i had a nice buck broadside at 15 yards...i drew my bow and could not see anything through my g5 meta peep....anybody else have any problems with this peep...any suggestions...i know this peep is the smaller of the two g5's offered....i thought of going with the bigger peep!...any help much appreciated....
thanks, Jake
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,271 Posts
I use the 3/16 fletcher peeps on mine.

I am curious about the anchor sight or no peep systems and the advantage they provide in this situation.

there's a thread in the General Archery section about the anchor sight. it acts like a level to tell you if you are anchoring in the same position each time, therefore eliminating the need for a peep....allowing a full field of view of your target. you still use your pins to place the shot and look around the string instead of through it (the way I understand it - never used one).

sounds like a good remedy for these low light shots. it ain't cheap though.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
yes

I have a G5 meta peep and in low light I also have trouble seeing it.I dont know if it is the blue color or what but I talked to some people and they say the same thing.Once it gets kinda dark it just dissapears when you look through it.

· Registered
667 Posts
That is a good reason to practice like you hunt. Make sure some evening that you are not hunting to practice right at the edge of dark at different distances that way you will know what to expect out of your peep and your sight.

It is always much better to find these problems at the house before the season starts. The good news is it was not the buck of a lifetime and its a easy fix. Go with a larger peep and make sure the string turns right everytime you draw your bow, you may have to twist the string 1/2 turn at a time to get it right.

· Registered
868 Posts
I use the 1/4in G5 peep and I have never had a problem seeing my pins.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I use a 5/16 peep. It ain't for crap for driving nails at 70 yards, but its the only way to go for hunting and shots inside of 50 yards. I can easily see my pins through my peep when I can no longer see the animal I'm shooting at due to low light.

I would at least recommend a 1/4" peep

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the peep didnt twist on me...it mighta been just me and a lil case of buck fever ha...anyways i was wondering if the blue color had anything to do with it because i looked through my cuz's switchback xt peep and could see perfectly fine in lower light...and his is black...

· Registered
378 Posts
I went to the 5/16 meta this year. yeah, it's big but I center my pin guard in the peep. I have noticed at low light it is hard to tell you'r looking through the peep but as said above, practice in low light so you know how it will appear. A consistent anchor helps, that is why I added a kisser button also.

I'm sure I could see my pins long after I could see the spot to shoot in the low light of a canopied woods.

· Registered
352 Posts
I have a G5 meta peep and in low light I also have trouble seeing it.I dont know if it is the blue color or what but I talked to some people and they say the same thing.Once it gets kinda dark it just dissapears when you look through it.
Me also, I took mine out and replaced it with a black super ball peep. Problem gone.

· Registered
4,251 Posts
as mentioned early go out at dusk in your own backyard in a non hunting situation and look thru you peep at full draw as it slowly gets darker. i have even taken out one of my shoulder mounted deer heads to see what it looks like to focus on the pins as it gets darker on an actual deer. learn your equipment so when the situation comes up you are prepared for it, kinda the same as shooting with your hunting coat and gloves on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.