Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone uses. I have a Weber smoky mountain but looking for something a little easier to use that u don’t have to babysit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought a pit boss due to such a good deal. 1 year in grilling minimum 3 x weekly no issues. I really wanted a green mountain initially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Green Mountain Grill, it works great. Just smoked a hole chicken for the 1st time and it came out great! Treager grills are good too!

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
See Sticky "Hey Smokers" !

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wife bought me a Woodwind by Camp Chef for Father's Day and I absolutely love it. I sold my BGE about a month after because I didn't use it anymore. didn't have to because my Woodwind did everything the BGE did and then some.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This past September, I purchased a Grilla from Grilla Grills, and have used it about once to twice a month with great results!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Pit Boss , works great and gets used a couple times a week. Done some of the finest turkeys ever on it. Smoke setting doesn’t last very long tho.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Green Mountain Daniel Boone!
I liked the GMG and get an awesome smoke. Pretty idiot proof as well just check once in a while and add pellets.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I have one I bought from Lowe’s. I have used it a lot for the last 4 years and I love it. The one at Bass Pro has great reviews.

Most will tell you to only use “smoking Pellets”. They cost $20.00 for 10lbs. I have been using heating pellets and they cost $5.75 for 50lbs. What’s important is to make sure they are 100% natural and made out of 100% hardwood. If you contact some of the manufacturers of heating pellets they will tell you their pellets are safe to use in a smoker. One of them (I think it’s Green Mountain pellets) is on some of the grilling forums telling people about their pellets. If you grill a lot, using heating pellets will save you a lot of $$$.

I love my pellet grill. I don’t care to eat at a barbecue restaurant anymore.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
They eat pellets as fast as you can pour them in is what i can tell you about a GMG. The price of pellets and how many are used in a 6-8 hour smoke is crazy. The ceramic grills are much more efficient and hold the heat a lot better for longer cooking. If you like instant heat like a gas grill buy a pellet grill but be prepared to buy pellets often. If you don't mind waiting 30 minutes to cook buy a ceramic. Ceramic grills doa better job keeping things moist as well. Hard to over cook on a ceramic.

·
Team Gutshot
2,869 Posts
Go wood and never look back
IMG_0430.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got a traeger that I've had for about 3 and half years now. I love it. Best investment I've ever made. Someone above mentioned that they go through a lot of pellets, but I don't think they're too bad. Mine uses about 1/2 lb and hour at 225*. I started buying pellets on amazon from cookin' pellets and I like the flavor of those better than the traeger or BB brand ones that Academy sells, but they're about twice the price. In a pinch, the BB brand pecan flavored ones have worked pretty well for me pretty much everything, but I prefer a fruitier wood for pork like cherry or apple.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Traegers are pretty sweet. I don't own one, but I've used them at buddies houses in the past. Kinda like a Holland grill, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Pellet smokers and Big Green Eggs are for sissies. Get a wood burner!!! Offset stick burner so you can manage a fire like a man. :wink:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I like my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. I have two of them and just smoked 8 racks of ribs on them for Christmas dinner. Not a lot of baby sitting. Set the thermostat and timer and add chips a few times and your good to go. Cabela's had the 30" 4 rack smoker for $129 free shipping a few days ago. A great deal as I picked up another one.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I know you asked about pellet smokers. Just another option, I bought a big Landmann from BP years ago. I only use it when I'm doing a ton of meat. I can do close to 100lbs of deer sausage at a time on it. This past weekend I did around 100 pheasant wrapped in bacon, turned out crazy good. It is a propane smoker but the chip box is about the size of a shoe box so I use big chunks of wood and it smokes great.

ph.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts