Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with either or both of these two binocs?
I hunt the CO mountains. I would be interested in 10X 42 or43
OR maybe 10X50s. Brightness and contrast, could I pick out a bighorn sheep from a rock etc.?? Thanks Ray:confused:

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I've been asking the same questions? From what I can tell they compare very favorably with Leicas and Swarovskis. The WP's have been replaced by the SP's. They were and are the Pentax top of the line. I'm thinking about the 10X43 DCF SPs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
bino

after much reading of posts on the dcf-wp's i broke down and bought a pair 8x42 from bear basin . iwas using a pair of the older steiner hunting models in 8x30 to hunt co. also they were lighterthan the pentax also auto focus wich is very nice however i prefered the 8x42 much more and not tht much more in weight.
they are very nice and you wont be dissapointed with the wp's
i have no experiance with the sp's---150-200moer in $$$$$
you might be able to find the wp at various sight online for @275 to450 im sure there are some left to be had
just my personnal exper. with them-im happy!!
good luck with your endevor:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had a pair of Pentax DCF WP 8X42 for 3 years and find them absolutely great. May be a little short on field of view but the optics are super. A friend has a pair of DCF WP in the 10X42 and they are great also. I found a bird watchers site that had reviews of many brands of binocs and they felt the Pentax DCF WP were the best for the buck. I bought mine from 17th Street Photo, pretty good prices there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a set of the DCF Wp's in 8x42. Good glass at a very good price. But they are not GREAT glass.

Whether it was bad luck or not the toughest in design I don't know but I had to pay well over half the orginial cost of these binos to get internal damage repaired after they dropped about 4 feet. The final cost was still way less than a pair of Lieca's but Lieca has 3 year "No fault" warranty, which means as long as you can send them the remains they'll send you a new pair, and of course a lifetime warranty on workmanship.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought a pair of Pentax 8x42 DCF WP's last year. I think it was money well spent. They are a tough bino to beat for the price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Smoke,

My Leica 8X42 BA's actually have a lifetime Passport warranty. As you stated, send them the remains and they will repair or replace them. Makes them a whole lot cheaper over the long haul! ;) You only buy one pair one time....just the way I like it.:D

Joe

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had my DCF WP's for going on two years. I have the 8X42 and I think they're great. I followed the bird geeks as they felt these glasses compared favorably to the European brands that cost three to four times as much. I got mine when Pentax had their $100 rebate going so mine netted out at $220. I got them at www.adoramacamera.com Try them out, their prices are a little better than SWFA, I've bought from both and service is great from both.

Crystal clear images, my friend says it's like High Definition. They are on the heavy side though

·
Registered
4 Posts
DCF WPs

I have a pair of 10x42 DCF WPs that my wife got me when she worked at Pentax. They are a great pair of binos for the money. You would have to spend a whole lot more to get binoculars that are noticeably better. They are a little heavy when hiking the mountains here in Colorado but with a decent harness system they are comforatable to wear for long periods of time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I own a pair of 10X42 DCF WP and really like them. I hunt in Utah in alot of open country. I bought them about three years ago and compared them to the Pentaz 10X42 DCF HR, and the Swarovski 10X42 SLC. At sportsmans warehouse I set all three of them up on tripods and was reading the Lay-A-Way policy across the store. With the Pentax DCF HR I could read just a few words, most of the letters were blurry. With the DCF WP I could read everything, with maybe one or two letters a little fuzzy. And with the Swarovski everything was clear nothing blurry. The HR's were about 250$ at the time, the WP's were about 500$ and the SLC were about 1100$. To me it seemed that the WP's were twice as good as the HR's which justify's the price but the SLC were not twice as good as the WP's, they were just a little better. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Smoke, I'm curious - what happed to your binos and why were they not covered by the Lifetime Warranty? This has be a bit spooked and I may just go with the Nikons which have a 25 yr no fault policy.

Thanks,
centershot

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I wish someone had some experience with the SP's to share.

I bought the WP's last year, and just last week someone broke into my truck and stole them. I absolutely loved them. I also got them with the $100 rebate, so now I'd have to spend a lot more to replace them.

I'm probably the only person out there that is really into bird watching and hunting. For bird watching you might be looking at 3.5 inch bird from 25 yards and trying to determine if it has 3 wing bars or only 2. The type of clearity required for this application is far greater than trying to pick out a deer from a clump of grass at 100 yards. I'll tell you those Pentax are really nice!

The New Pentax HR is phase coated. I really need to do some research to deturmine which of the 3 to get (New HR, WP or SP).

Some other models I will check out before making my final selection are the Nikon Monarch PC, Wind River Pinnacle or Olympic , and B&L Elites.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dohhhh!!!!

Redtail, sorry about the bird geeks comment. I'm sure they'd refer to us as archery geeks. I know what you're talking about with clarity though. It shows up big time when your trying to pick out the 12 ring on a black bear in the shadows. So the clarity does help in archery more than in your general hunting situation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pentax DCF WPs VS DCF SPs

I finally settled on 10 X 50 Pentax DCF SPs. Bought them thru my Exchange System (AAFES) as I am retired military, had to special order. So far I love them, they are brighter than real. Decided on the 50s to get a brighter view early and late. Thanks Ray:) :)

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I have the Pentax DCF WP. They're nice but I also go a Tasco EXP. No difference except the Tasco's were $100 new in box. They're waterproof too. Take a look before spending that $200 + more for the same bino. I've never thought of Tasco as a good brand but these are very impressive for the $$$.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I've made my choice to go with the new Pentax DCF SP 8x43

I've read as many reviews and reports as I could find as well as calling and talking to a person at Eagle Optics (www.eagleoptics.com) They don't have the lowest price, but are well known for their service. The reports are all that the New DCF SP's are brighter, crisper with better color retention than the DCF WP and really untill you compare them to the next level of Binos, are the best out there.

As soon as I find the best price, I'll be placing my order.

On a side note: Just like with Bows, there are a lot out there and each person has to pick the one for themselves. If you can't see the difference or the application doesn't require the additional optical performance, than don't spend the extra money.
Unfortuneately, you can't really tell untill you are out in the field.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm very pleased with mine, especially like the brightness and clarity. The 10 X 50s should help me in dim light but will weigh a few more ounces when climbing these ** mountains. Overall I'm happy with my choice. Ray

·
Registered
371 Posts
Redtail,

Yep, the folks at Eagleoptics are great to work with and want to make sure their customers get the best product for their needs and budget. Having folks availible that actually know something about the product they sell is a pleasant breath of fresh air. Much like a knowledgable archery pro-shop versus the guy without a clue that charges 3% less.

Why not show your appreciation and order from the folks that helped guide you in your decision? Their prices are VERY competitive. Surely the info you got was worth a couple of extra bucks, no?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts