Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear it all the time. People think cause new bows create so much energy they need much stiffer arrows. The fact is that most new bows have much smoother draw cycles than before. In the old days draw cycles on high energy bows was quite harsh. In arrow dynamics the energy transfered to an arrow is a very touchy situation. Even if a bow has much more energy dosent mean it has to shoot a much stiffer arrow. Spine is MUCH more relevant to how that energy is transfered to the arrow. The smoother the draw cycle is realevent to how that energy is applied to the arrow. The smoother the force is applied the softer the arrow you can shoot.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A propely tuned and timed and tilliered bow will shoot a much softer arrow. This is a fact that the pros knew 30 years ago, so this is not new info.....................

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
And if you have zero lateral or vertical nock travel you can shoot almost any spine of arrow. At least a rather wide range anyway.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and if you have zero lateral or vertical nock travel you can shoot almost any spine of arrow. At least a rather wide range anyway.
very true........................

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
I hear it all the time. People think cause new bows create so much energy they need much stiffer arrows. The fact is that most new bows have much smoother draw cycles than before. In the old days draw cycles on high energy bows was quite harsh. In arrow dynamics the energy transfered to an arrow is a very touchy situation. Even if a bow has much more energy dosent mean it has to shoot a much stiffer arrow. Spine is MUCH more relevant to how that energy is transfered to the arrow. The smoother the draw cycle is realevent to how that energy is applied to the arrow. The smoother the force is applied the softer the arrow you can shoot.

I miss your other avatar, banned twice is that a badge of honor? I prefer a stiffer arrow out of my monster, you act like its a bad thing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was thining about this, and to me it seems to be to do with how smoothly the arrow will be accelerated. I would also think that, given the same bow, a lightweight arrow fired with an unloaded spring would need a stiffer spine than a much heavier arrow (say a couple of 100gr more) shot with a loaded string, because the rate of acceleration would slow (due to increased inertia). Although perhaps this would be cancelled out to some extent by the increasing efficiency of the bow as arrow weight increases.

Just musing :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Your thread title is WRONG!!!!! Ya the arrow application (spine) charts are just guidelines and many setups will shoot a "underspined" or "overspined" arrow VERY well. Arrow stiffness does matter though.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If someone can't tell if the spine is wrong----it likely doesn't matter
Good shoot'n
Cec

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bambranch

Please list the high energy bows that shoot underspined arrows better. I just don’t see it with the bows my friends or I am shooting.

What I have seen in the past five years is three arrow blowups. In one of them the owner had severe damage to his hand. In all three cases the arrows were underspined!!!!!!

Even if I had a bow that shot underspined arrow better there is no way in H*** that I am going to do it. After seeing a hand with carbon fibers sticking through it I ordered some ACC’s. I still shoot straight carbons but they are at least recommend spine or overspined.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
Bambranch

Please list the high energy bows that shoot underspined arrows better. I just don’t see it with the bows my friends or I am shooting.

What I have seen in the past five years is three arrow blowups. In one of them the owner had severe damage to his hand. In all three cases the arrows were underspined!!!!!!

Even if I had a bow that shot underspined arrow better there is no way in H*** that I am going to do it. After seeing a hand with carbon fibers sticking through it I ordered some ACC’s. I still shoot straight carbons but they are at least recommend spine or overspined.
you do realize that an overspined arrow can cause bad arrow flight just like an underspined arrow?

·
Registered
118 Posts
you do realize that an overspined arrow can cause bad arrow flight just like an underspined arrow?
Yes I do. My Switchback LD shoots 55/75’s, 75/95’s and 300 spines equally well. The recommend spine for my poundage and DL with that bow is a 75/95 which is a 340 spine. I am comfortable shooting a 340 or a 300 spine. Even though they shoot fine I am no longer comfortable shooting 55/75’s as per the charts they are underspined. After seeing the damage a blown-up arrow will do to a hand I will always shoot the stiffest spine that still shoots well even if the charts claim it’s “overspined”.

·
Registered
50,332 Posts
I disagree totally. How a bow draws has nothing to do with the energy imparted on the arrow when it is shot. The energy when released on today's bows is much more than days of past. So a stiffer arrow is more important with higher energy bows of today. Today's bows cams are more efficient but power is power. It takes power to make speed there is no way around that fact. So IMHO your theory is seriously flawed.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
Yes I do. My Switchback LD shoots 55/75’s, 75/95’s and 300 spines equally well. The recommend spine for my poundage and DL with that bow is a 75/95 which is a 340 spine. I am comfortable shooting a 340 or a 300 spine. Even though they shoot fine I am no longer comfortable shooting 55/75’s as per the charts they are underspined. After seeing the damage a blown-up arrow will do to a hand I will always shoot the stiffest spine that still shoots well even if the charts claim it’s “overspined”.
yeah i was meaning if it was "actually" overspined not just over on the chart. the charts are just a reference. thats the nice thing about my aluminums no arrow pieces in my hand

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
I disagree totally. How a bow draws has nothing to do with the energy imparted on the arrow when it is shot. The energy when released on today's bows is much more than days of past. So a stiffer arrow is more important with higher energy bows of today. Today's bows cams are more efficient but power is power. It takes power to make speed there is no way around that fact. So IMHO your theory is seriously flawed.
i agree

·
Husband & Dad (6 Girls!)
1,333 Posts
This reminds me of the thread saying that everyone fletched their arrows wrong. Silly kid.

It does make me wonder how FITA indoor shooters are doing so well with seriously overspined fat arrow of both carbon and aluminum.

OP shoot what you want... I'll stick with the guys that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I agree, and maybe if you would have used a stiffer arrow it would have made it over your roof and not on it......How is that roof by the way, get er all fixed up?

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Hey BRANCh. Not wanting to argue your theoey here. But I'm not so sure on that. Most of my bows shoot a heavier spine arrow and tune quite well with them.

I'm big on bareshaft tuning and if the stiffer arrow tunes well like that, then I consider it good.

I would certainly use a weaker arrow if my bows preferred them, but that has not been the case.

Last thing in the world I want with my hunting rigs is an arrow thats over-flexing.

My .02

·
Registered
689 Posts
have been shooting 400 for my vendetta at 60lbs with no proplem but my k&k dont like them had to go to 300 witch on the charts is way over my poundage and draw.but no way it would tune if i didnt.im shooting ht2

·
Registered
358 Posts

I shoot carbon express Maxximas 250's from a 60lb Destroyer. I shot the 350's as well and had mixed results with my shots. They were overspinned with my set-up and not as accurate with my bow.. Also the lighter weight of the 250's were noticable and they flew like darts......What I'm trying to say, you can overspine your arrows and lose accurracy buy playing it to safe with the spine numbers. Saftey should always be a first but playing the to safe card could hold down accurracy.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts