Archery Talk Forum banner

Perfect 20yd broadside shot, think I got the secondary lung and then the arrow hit no mans land....how long to track?

8597 95
Shot a big doe and I think I got the secondary lung, pretty sure the arrow then hit the "void" completely missing the primary lung. The arrow was covered in secondary lung blood, no primary lung blood found, some spotty "void" blood. Called a dog tracker in who is very experience in tracking secondary blood.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
1,565 Posts
You could have saved that money spent on a tracker if you had just waited for the deer to start leaking tertiary blood and picked up the trail from there. They don't leak tertiary blood until they've use up primary and secondary blood reserves. That's usually after they've run 300yds and fatigued a little. Downhill. Near water.

· Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could have saved that money spent on a tracker if you had just waited for the deer to start leaking tertiary blood and picked up the trail from there. They don't leak tertiary blood until they've use up primary and secondary blood reserves. That's usually after they've run 300yds and fatigued a little. Downhill. Near water.
Outstanding, keep it up...lol

· Registered
15,946 Posts
Shot a big doe and I think I got the secondary lung, pretty sure the arrow then hit the "void" completely missing the primary lung. The arrow was covered in secondary lung blood, no primary lung blood found, some spotty "void" blood. Called a dog tracker in who is very experience in tracking secondary blood.
I don’t need a dog tracker, when I sit down they always jump my ass, maybe get some duck jerky and show them some attention.

I do have one old demented Aussie, but I don’t need a tracker for him either, because he doesn’t go far or fast, and randomly barks (he’s barking right now)

if he quits barking, I just turn the pack of schipperkes loose and then he’ll start barking again, and they some times take offense and jump him, he never makes it further than a couple yards on his primary attempt, and the void in his head (from dementia) he rarely has a secondary attempt.

might be worth trying, you just need a 16yr old Aussie and 4 schipperkes

· Registered
2,000 Posts
You won't be alone. After all, I'm doing some research into this hypotheorysis. I'm considering the delusions of how you ever expect to find that deer without at least clipping the appendix and 3rd kidney (the first 2 work, but are only there for prefiltering of the bile. The 3rd one is clearly the only vital one to a deer). We've been over this before. Sheesh, dude. Work with me.

· Registered
57 Posts
The results of your tracking is not so much about where your arrow hit her, but more about what's on the business end of your arrow.

In 2021 alone 74% of non-recovered, recoverable animals were shot with a singularly doubled bevel cut on expanding broadheads mounted on an arrow with a FOC between 3 and 33%. That's a true statistic that I just made up, so let that sink in next time your at the 'pro shop' looking at broadheads.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts