Archery Talk Forum banner

Perfect 20yd broadside shot, think I got the secondary lung and then the arrow hit no mans land....how long to track?

8639 Views 95 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  solohunter
Shot a big doe and I think I got the secondary lung, pretty sure the arrow then hit the "void" completely missing the primary lung. The arrow was covered in secondary lung blood, no primary lung blood found, some spotty "void" blood. Called a dog tracker in who is very experience in tracking secondary blood.
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I just woke up, grabbed my phone and saw this thread title..
My first thought was *** is this guy talking about..Great post, keep it going
So with that, we now know your primary action upon awakening is to grab your phone...the heck I am talking about is the evolved deer with primary and secondary lungs. Fastest evolutionary change ever.

· Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, SS34, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
2,463 Posts
Ensure the tracking dog is a chihuahua, like my Bandito. Let me know if you require his assistance. Very little blood should ALWAYS be a sign that a very little "dog" be utilized. With every step he'll shake and his eyes will bug out as the deer gets closer. If he poops get your bow ready, he's deathly scared of anything alive. Bandito WILL find your deer. When he does he'll gladly dry hump it's head and neck to really prove he deserves a day old mexi fry treat.

· Registered
Headshots only
1,861 Posts
Ensure the tracking dog is a chihuahua, like my Bandito. Let me know if you require his assistance. Very little blood should ALWAYS be a sign that a very little "dog" be utilized. With every step he'll shake and his eyes will bug out as the deer gets closer. If he poops get your bow ready, he's deathly scared of anything alive. Bandito WILL find your deer. When he does he'll gladly dry hump it's head and neck to really prove he deserves a day old mexi fry treat.
I thought I was the only one that humped the head and neck of every deer I recover.

Bandito is my spirit animal.

· Registered
16,151 Posts
For secondary lung tracking, I think schipperkes are the best tracking dogs, chihuahuas are fine for primary… her favorite food is actually chihuahua chops

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers Companion dog

· Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Just came in to warm up a bit and you slayed me with this one Holmes lmao, well done

· Banned
196 Posts
Shot a big doe and I think I got the secondary lung, pretty sure the arrow then hit the "void" completely missing the primary lung. The arrow was covered in secondary lung blood, no primary lung blood found, some spotty "void" blood. Called a dog tracker in who is very experience in tracking secondary blood.
What is the secondary lung?

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,098 Posts
I'm not sure how much help using a guy who tracks dogs is going to do you?

Live and learn I guess, next time stop your ebike first before taking the shot. The 2nd mistake you made was not taking the texas heart shot she gave you. If you had done both of these things you would have probably hit the 3rd lung (the one with the green stuff in it) and you would have found her dead within a mile.

· Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'm not sure how much help using a guy who tracks dog is going to do you?

Live and learn I guess, next time stop your ebike first before taking the shot. The 2nd mistake you made was not taking the texas heart shot she gave you. If you had done both of these things you would have probably hit the 3rd lung (the one with the green stuff in it) and you would have found her dead within a mile.
But I just HAD TO HAVE HER, where is the frontal shot when you need it the most, oh wait those only apply to trophy bucks....

· Registered
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Funny stuff…what’s sad is that someone believes that.
solohunter said:
What is the secondary lung?

Well I believe you called it....

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,098 Posts
But I just HAD TO HAVE HER, where is the frontal shot when you need it the most, oh wait those only apply to trophy bucks....
If it had been a frontal shot, especially a trophy buck, I'd taken a jaw shot. If he can't eat he's surely gonna die but it'll take a few minutes for him to expire. I'd wait a lil bit before you start tracking, 5 minutes should be good enough though.

• Haha
Reactions: solohunter

· Registered
Headshots only
1,861 Posts
Is it true that deer have 2 harts and 3 lungs ?
During the cretaceous period cervids had a primary, secondary, and tertiary lung. Historically, cavemen had inaccurate cut charts, so they consitently shot deer too high. As the cervids evolved, the tertiary lung has gone away. The location where said tertiary lung used to be is now called, "the void".

41 - 60 of 96 Posts