Archery Talk Forum banner

Perfect 20yd broadside shot, think I got the secondary lung and then the arrow hit no mans land....how long to track?

8597 95
Shot a big doe and I think I got the secondary lung, pretty sure the arrow then hit the "void" completely missing the primary lung. The arrow was covered in secondary lung blood, no primary lung blood found, some spotty "void" blood. Called a dog tracker in who is very experience in tracking secondary blood.
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

· Registered
5,125 Posts
It’s not as simple as primary and secondary lungs, it’s more of a dominant/non dominant lungs.
If you pay attention when they are close, a trained eye can figure out if your hitlist doe is left or right lunged.

If you are a rookie and can’t tell for sure, it’s best to not take any chances and shoot ‘em in the face, since they usually only have one face.

bucks are much easier to tell, especially if they are quartered away, one but will hang a little lower than the other, so let’s say the left nut is the lower hanging fruit, it’s also going to be a left lung dominant buck, since doe nuts are smaller and harder to see, it’s not as reliable, but they all have a face… a face that’s begging for a broadhead.
So we should aim for the dominant nut? Or the off-side nut?

• Haha
Reactions: solohunter

· Registered
5,125 Posts
For secondary lung tracking, I think schipperkes are the best tracking dogs, chihuahuas are fine for primary… her favorite food is actually chihuahua chops

View attachment 7747479
But for secondary nut tracking you need a Bea-huahua! Or is it a Chihueagle?

Dog Car Vehicle Dog breed Comfort

Reactions: solohunter

· Registered
5,125 Posts
Well did you recover your deer Solo? Inquiring mind want to know. Well not really just trying to stay out of the THP thread.

Is the secondary lung mechanical or vacuum actuated?
I heard that the primary lung is just floating around in the cavity like a lava lamp, so you have to watch where it's moving and lead it inside the deer.

· Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Well did you recover your deer Solo? Inquiring mind want to know. Well not really just trying to stay out of the THP thread.

Is the secondary lung mechanical or vacuum actuated?
Still looking, upon further research, come to find out if the primary lung is untouched they do have a "float mode", where they are lifted and float away. Hard to track blood splatter on tree tops. In the float mode I believe this where the lung is above the spinal column.

· Registered
3,178 Posts
It’s not as simple as primary and secondary lungs, it’s more of a dominant/non dominant lungs.
If you pay attention when they are close, a trained eye can figure out if your hitlist doe is left or right lunged.

If you are a rookie and can’t tell for sure, it’s best to not take any chances and shoot ‘em in the face, since they usually only have one face.

bucks are much easier to tell, especially if they are quartered away, one but will hang a little lower than the other, so let’s say the left nut is the lower hanging fruit, it’s also going to be a left lung dominant buck, since doe nuts are smaller and harder to see, it’s not as reliable, but they all have a face… a face that’s begging for a broadhead.
Sometimes with an injury to an ear, the opposite side nut will become nontypical the following year. This could lead to misjudging the nut and cause you to aim for the wrong lung.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 96 Posts