Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,527 Posts
I think the spot on the top left is too far forward based upon the position of the leg in the back. I am no expert but I would shoot that one with a planned exit would close to the opposite side leg. What do you guys think?

· Registered
593 Posts
I agree...

Actually it seems to me that both the top picture and the bottom picture are going to "exit" in the opposite shoulder likely preventing a pass through....

I think the spot on the top left is too far forward based upon the position of the leg in the back. I am no expert but I would shoot that one with a planned exit would close to the opposite side leg. What do you guys think?

· Registered
6,587 Posts
stay behind the "arm pit" and you'll be good. alot of guys shoot for the little hole above the elbow and hit to high, and get a shoulder bone and no ek\lk. so shoot for just behind the arm pit, and fire up the grill!:wink:

· Registered
297 Posts
After just harvesting my 7th elk those pictures are absolutely dead on!!!! Dont shoot any farther back on any of them. The diaphram parallels the shoulder and is only 6" or less from the arm pit. Keep it close to that leg bone and dont shoot above half way. If you do shoot higher you run the risk of hitting the shoulder bone and no elk. Keep it close to the leg as possible as stated above most people shoot way to far back.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses :). Now I can aim small, miss small. One question about the top image...the arrow can penetrate through that elbow area? It looks farther forward than what I would have guessed.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I would not advise aiming to close to the shoulder bones, because if you hit them it will dramatically reduce your chances of harvesting that animal.

· Registered
297 Posts
Here's how I think of it. If I am lower then halfway, tight against its leg bone I have a elk. If I miss small cause I aimed small I still have a dead elk. You aim back a little bit or above halfway and miss small you either gut shot it or hit a shoulder bone and he walks away with a sore leg. Look at the cut away picture, you need to be infront of that purple atleast a couple inches, look how close it is to the leg bone. Remeber that and look at where the pictures above are telling you to aim. Put it tight againt his leg bone below halfway down and you'll have elk steaks..

Good luck..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.