Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I was in my saddle at about 7:00am. At about 7:20, 3 does were walking 60 yards away right in front of me. I started to grunt and they slowly turned and made there way towards me on my right. I realized that it was 2 does and I buck that I had been scouting for weeks prior but didnt think he survived through the last few weeks. He approaches 25 yards to my right and stops dead broadside and starts sniffing. The shot was perfect, right between two trees that were cleared of brush. Then looks straight at me, a stare-down, it lasted at least 60 seconds. there was no movement except my shaking hands trying to stay as still as possible. The does froze as well. Then he turns and walks behind thick brush before I could get a shot off. I am so mad at myself. It was a weird angle and if I would have tried to draw he would have bolted.

I waited till noon for their return but nothing.

·
Givin' deer the dirt nap
699 Posts
You just described how most bowhunting encounters play out. Their senses are so good, and we are only human. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Been there, done that, saddle too. It seems after hunting one season with the saddle, you have to be totally aware of the position you are in, and the incoming path of your deer. Tough to make last second adjustments, for a comfortable shot, unless you are real high up. I am following that learning curve too.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
And that is why we Hunt .... and why we Return.

Crazy Wolf

·
I am the Tin Man!
2,982 Posts
Awesome encounter! I remember those where the deer outsmarted me more than the ones where I shot a deer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Been there a few times. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Bowhunting; 99% going home with nothing but stories.

·
Registered
22,556 Posts
No "choke" there in my book. You simply had the game outsmart your location and that has happened to any diehard bowhunter a dozen times. Now if you had missed a 12 yard broadside shot..............THAT is a choke. ;^) Best of luck next time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No "choke" there in my book. You simply had the game outsmart your location and that has happened to any diehard bowhunter a dozen times. Now if you had missed a 12 yard broadside shot..............THAT is a choke. ;^) Best of luck next time.
BINGO!! You were in the right place at the right time....I still would go home with a smile.

·
"Keep Hammering"
7,901 Posts
Yesterday morning I was in my saddle at about 7:00am. At about 7:20, 3 does were walking 60 yards away right in front of me. I started to grunt and they slowly turned and made there way towards me on my right. I realized that it was 2 does and I buck that I had been scouting for weeks prior but didnt think he survived through the last few weeks. He approaches 25 yards to my right and stops dead broadside and starts sniffing. The shot was perfect, right between two trees that were cleared of brush. Then looks straight at me, a stare-down, it lasted at least 60 seconds. there was no movement except my shaking hands trying to stay as still as possible. The does froze as well. Then he turns and walks behind thick brush before I could get a shot off. I am so mad at myself. It was a weird angle and if I would have tried to draw he would have bolted.

I waited till noon for their return but nothing.
Why didn't you draw when he was behind one of the trees and when he presented a shot you could have taken him.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,751 Posts
Keep at it he will be back

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
feel your pain man. had a nice 8 pointer step out of no where. like he just appeared. he turned away i drew and heald it as he walked on a string the same path i walked in putting his vitals behind EVERY tree in the woods between him and me!!!!!! by the time he presented a shot i was shaking so much from holding and excitement i missed him. that is why i love bowhunting so very much.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Now if you kill him it will be that more sweeter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts