Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I know this was on here before but is a 60lb bow at 60lbs actualy better then a 70lb bow at 60lbs if so why
thank you

Here's my take.....

In the older days before parallel limbs I would say yes. My reasoning is that the limb pockets were locked down hard againist the riser.

With todays bows....they are designed completely different with limb pockets opposing eache other, Pocket lock down bolts....Not to mention they are strung much tighter as a result of the different design and would have much less string slack as s result of lossening the limbs...

Thats my .02...

· Hucklebuck’s
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my take.....

In the older days before parallel limbs I would say yes. My reasoning is that the limb pockets were locked down hard againist the riser.

With todays bows....they are designed completely different with limb pockets opposing eache other, Pocket lock down bolts....Not to mention they are strung much tighter as a result of the different design and would have much less string slack as s result of lossening the limbs...

Thats my .02...
thanks tap makes since I am actualy going for middle weight 65lbs

· Registered
1,864 Posts
I shoot a 65 lb target bow and 70 lbs for hunting mostly because I get off the string better with a little weight and hold a lot better on the target. If I get to light I float to much on the spot and have a hard time getting the shot off clean. Remember your only holding about 14 lbs are so at full draw and the more weight the cleaner the string will get off your release.

· Hucklebuck’s
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shoot a 65 lb target bow and 70 lbs for hunting mostly because I get off the string better with a little weight and hold a lot better on the target. If I get to light I float to much on the spot and have a hard time getting the shot off clean. Remember your only holding about 14 lbs are so at full draw and the more weight the cleaner the string will get off your release.
yea I was just wondering if it affected the bows proformance itself I was always told to shoot a bow maxed out

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes your right a maxed out the bow will perform better. They say it harder on a bow limbs have the limb backed out to much as to have them all the way down.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I personally have never been able to tell a difference.

I think for most archers it isn't going to be a big change either way.

· Registered
260 Posts
If you're talking about 2 bows set on 60 lbs. , one being a 60 max and the other a 70 max, no there is very little speed difference. I have had the opportunity on several occasions to test this on different bows and never saw any real performance difference.

Also, as someone already said, limb pockets are way ahead of where they were 10-15 years ago.

· Hucklebuck’s
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I think I am gonna go with the heavyier bow I shoot 70lbs now and i gues this will let the cat out of the bag on my choice for a new bow but I am going 80lbs and gonna shoot about 74 lbs
thanks for the input

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.