Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting into the hobby cold and see a tremendous range in cost on arrow shafts and broadheads. I'm an aerospace engineer so I have a good understanding on materials yet I can't seem to separate what's a good value vs performance. I'm new to the hobby but don't want something cheap that I'll be upgrading from in a year.

What's the right intermediate grade arrow and broadhead combo for hunting deer?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The most expensive stuff is nice to say you have…maybe. Grab some Gold Tip XT Hunters. Broadheads you will get a million opinions so take them with a grain of salt. I’m kinda a broadhead junkie so I’ve tried tons of different heads and mostly on animals. I live in the south so we have liberal bag limits on deer and unlimited pigs. Me personally stick with a 3 blade. I’ve tried premium single bevels blah blah blah, i want that triangle cut. Get some stropping compound and a strop and learn to sharpen, even heads right out of the pack stand to have plenty of room for improvement.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I'm getting into the hobby cold and see a tremendous range in cost on arrow shafts and broadheads. I'm an aerospace engineer so I have a good understanding on materials yet I can't seem to separate what's a good value vs performance. I'm new to the hobby but don't want something cheap that I'll be upgrading from in a year.

What are your bow specs? People will give you lots of recommendations, if they know your DL, DW, IBO speed etc. Arrow choice is mostly personal preferences though. There are plenty of great arrow/broadhead combinations.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gold Tip Hunter or Hunter XT shafts come highly recommended. I use both myself and don’t see a difference in performance with my shooting personally. Therefore when it comes time to buy more, it’ll be more Gold Tip Hunters. As far as BHs go, there are a ton of great choices out there as well.. I’ll be shooting 125gr QAD Exodus Swept blades this season. As far as budget BHs go.. I ordered up some Deepower 3 blade 100gr heads from Amazon, they’re $20 for a dozen heads and they are extremely impressive for that price point. Check out Lusk Archery Adventures on YouTube for some awesome BH reviews.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts

There are so many options to choose from... My advice to folks (especially those just starting out) is always to find something from a reputable brand in the middle price range. You can get hunting arrows from Amazon/Alibaba fletched for $40/dozen or you can get some .001" micros for $200+/dozen for bare shafts.

I don't recommend the $40/doz shafts to anyone for a number of reasons:

1) I don't want to risk the "life" of my $1000+ bow to a cheap arrow. If you're new, you may or may not have spent that much on a bow... but that doesn't mean that your bow is worth risking.... Not to mention your eye sight or other injury from a blown up bow.
2) Every time I see a batch of these, there is always a few that just will NOT fly like the rest of the batch. I had one that damn near flopped off the spinner when I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't group. This is money wasted.

I don't recommend the $200/doz shafts to new shooters because "You're new, you're gonna break and or loose them when you miss the target". You might get to a point where you'll see the difference in quality and consistency to justify that cost.... but you aren't there yet. It's better to loose an $8-10 arrow than it is to loose a $20+ arrow.

In some ways it's no different than going to the auto parts store to get brake pads for you commuter car... The guy at the counter will say something like "I have brand X for $140, Brand Y for $60 and Brand Z for $19.99" The Brand X is probably much better but, unless your commute looks like a scene from the "Fast and Furious" you'll never push the car close enough to it's limit to notice. The $19.99 brake pads are more than likely garbage and you'll be back in 3 months to get new pads. (Would you trust those brake pads enough if your kids were in that car???)

My advice is pick a reputable brand, get some appropriately spined .006" arrows that are in the $90-$120/dozen (fletched shaft) range and go shoot!!!

As far as brands are concerned, there are a bunch of options and everyone will tell you to use what they use. (I'm guilty of this too) Some brands to consider:

Kill'n Stix (I use these)
Black Eagle (I shot these for years)
Easton
Victory
Gold Tip

For broadheads, I like Tooth of the Arrow and Magnus. I've had success with Montecs. Truth is, they all will do the job if they are sharp and you put them in the right place.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts

Check out Victory V-Force and V-Force TKO's. They're reasonably priced. Look at 125 grain fixed broadheads, like Magnus Stingers or Black Hornets.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Entry level arrows is what i would recommend- just have your local shop set you up with the cheaper of what they stock (of the major brands, easton, black eagle gold tip). Once the bug bites you, youre going to re-assess the whole set up anyways (engineer) and respec your arrows. may as well start with cheaper ones to get your feet wet.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would suggest to start with a moderately priced fairly durable standard diameter arrow . Like the Victory V Force, Gold tip Hunter or Easton 6.5. I would opt for the .03 straightness. All of those arrows inserts I believe are threaded to dabble with weight systems. And have multiple weight inserts available.
And a moderately priced effective fixed broadhead like a almost any Magnus, VPA, Exodus, Slick Trick. You will hit the ground running. You might never see a need to change a arrow set up to anything more expensive.
Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gold Tip Hunter or Hunter XT shafts come highly recommended. I use both myself and don’t see a difference in performance with my shooting personally. Therefore when it comes time to buy more, it’ll be more Gold Tip Hunters. As far as BHs go, there are a ton of great choices out there as well.. I’ll be shooting 125gr QAD Exodus Swept blades this season. As far as budget BHs go.. I ordered up some Deepower 3 blade 100gr heads from Amazon, they’re $20 for a dozen heads and they are extremely impressive for that price point. Check out Lusk Archery Adventures on YouTube for some awesome BH reviews.
I shoot the Deepowers too. I didn’t they were that sharp so hit them on the WorkSharp and were good to go. Only took about a min per head. Killed 6 deer with them and can’t even tell they’ve been used. Very pleased with em

·
Registered
5,799 Posts

Based on AT user reviews, along with John Lusk's broadhead reviews, if I were just starting out, I'd probably buy QAD Exodus 125's--either swept or full. Everybody loves them. I've seen 3 packs on sale, still under $40.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I shoot the Deepowers too. I didn’t they were that sharp so hit them on the WorkSharp and were good to go. Only took about a min per head. Killed 6 deer with them and can’t even tell they’ve been used. Very pleased with em
Right on man! Idk if I’ll be bringing any DPs in my quiver come deer season, but I have no problem shooting the hell out of them in the back yard. Maybe I’ll keep one in the quiver if something else walks by on a slow day though.. I’d rather lose one of those to the dirt than a $12 head lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts