Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no one wants these sent as payment for articles they sale.. what do some people think usps m.o. only means? no one will cash out of state 2 party checks. pay close attention to what you doing on here guys. how many of you are tired of this crap happening to you?

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
If they screw up and send a personal check, they have to wait for it to clear my bank before I ship. :plain:

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,103 Posts
Say what????

Very few will cash a check anyway. You can deposit them in the bank or go to a check cashing place and pay 25% to cash it.

I'm confused by your post....

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been kind enough to ship items prior to payment based on feed back, and this has happened to me a couple of times already.. i only have a credit card account and my own bank wont touch the things. a little p.o.d

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
i have no problem with personal checks....deposit them in m account, when the check clears, I send the item. been doing it for years, no headaches yet. if the guy starts saying something about not wanting to wait till his check clears, I simply tell him i'll send his check send it back to him,.... and tell him, "too bad". if the guy is that stupid, as to think i'm not going to wait for it to clear, I don't think I want to sell him what I have.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
no one wants these sent as payment for articles they sale.. what do some people think usps m.o. only means? no one will cash out of state 2 party checks. pay close attention to what you doing on here guys. how many of you are tired of this crap happening to you?
This isn't true. I sold a bow to a doctor in Florida. He asked if I would take a personal check. I said sure as long as you don't
mind me waiting for the check to clear before I mail the bow. He was fine with that and the transaction took place without
a hitch.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats all beside the point. when its agreed ahead of time for m.o. only, then thats what you expect. not another waiting period.

·
BIRD HUNTER
11,193 Posts
tell him when he sends the money order to tack on another 46 cents so you can send his check back.

The best one was once I had a guy ask where he could get a postal money order. he said walmart didn't have them.

does it say in your ad money order?

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
just find out how the guy is going to pay you before you start haggling price and haggle accordingly...... if they're going to send "chancy funds" they should pay a "chancy price".

whyatt, you're opening yourself up, wide open..... to be ripped off by sending before receiving payment, regardless of feedback. that's just not a smart thing to do, man!. I wouldn't even do that if I could walk next door and knock on the guy's door.
I have to admit, I recently bought an item from here and the guy was good enough to send it before my money got to him, and wouldn't you know, the money didn't get to him for about a week delay....I felt terrible and like I was cheating him. as soon as read his PM that he sent it, I said to my self, " man that's awful nice, but hope it doesn't backfire". we got it straightened out, but it was not very much fun.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So don't send the bow until after you receive certified funds? Either that is a check that clears or a M.O.

Not sure what the issue is. As a seller, one should always be protecting themselves, even on a site like AT where the issues are very few and far between.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've taken personal checks, buyer just has to wait for it to clear before I ship the item.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
ive been kind enough to ship items prior to payment based on feed back, and this has happened to me a couple of times already.. i only have a credit card account and my own bank wont touch the things. a little p.o.d

Sounds like what you need is a different bank. Mine will take anything I bring in. Simply wait until it clears, then ship the item.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have paid for multiple things with personal checks (every banjo I've ever bought), I just tell the them to wait till the money clears if they don't trust the check. I usually have two reasons for sending checks, one I have trouble making it to the post office with my work schedule and I don't like giving Ebay (owners of paypal) more money then I have too...they make enough the way it is.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I don't think I would accept a check from my Mother, and for sure wouldn't from my sister!
:wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have no problem with personal checks....deposit them in m account, when the check clears, I send the item. been doing it for years, no headaches yet. if the guy starts saying something about not wanting to wait till his check clears, I simply tell him i'll send his check send it back to him,.... and tell him, "too bad". if the guy is that stupid, as to think i'm not going to wait for it to clear, I don't think I want to sell him what I have.
i always ask if i can pay with a personal check & you can wait till it clears before shipping. I go to work before the post office opens and get off after they close. It's a total inconvenience for me to get a USPS money order. I do understand the reluctance to accept personal checks as who wants to get stuck with the bank fee when someone else's check bounces.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
what's a personal check?
LOL, that's what I was thinking. I don't think we even use personal checks to pay our bills. Everything is online now.

When selling, I do PayPal only. Not going to deal with personal checks or money orders.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Unfortunately we live in a world that we can't trust anyone anymore. A mans word does not mean what it use to.
There are those that think it's fun to try and scam people. Look at that guy that was on here (the prince or something like that) That was trying to scam people on here about donations.

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
I think the OP has a legitimate complaint. He stated in his ad "USPS Money Order Only" and then gets a personal check in the mail out of the blue. Not agreed to.

It's happened to me before just like you. I kindly PM'ed them and told them they would have to wait for it to clear the bank. A USPS Money Order can be verified and/or cashed the same day you get it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts