Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a joke! You are supposed to feel bad for eating a rotten carcase but eating a rotten vegatable is OK?:confused: Everytime I get one of these emails it makes me want to go to a meat only diet!

Monthly Leafleting Alert

Dear Activist

Unfortunately, we can't force your great aunt to stop insisting that you try "just a little" of the turkey she's serving, but we can help you get through holiday meals without throwing your tofu pie in anyone's face. Here are some tips not only to help get you to the table this holiday season but also to make sure that you're a well-fed and effective animal advocate.

Don't Boycott!
Refusing to attend your family's holiday gathering or boycotting the office's holiday party doesn't help animals. Many meat-eaters read your non-attendance as self-deprivation, self-righteousness, or both, and that's the sort of club that nobody wants to join. (“You can't even go to Thanksgiving dinner? Who wants to live like that?”) Instead, show up with a smile on your face and a tasty vegan dish in hand (more on that below). It's the perfect opportunity to expose others to vegetarian foods and talk about why being vegetarian is important for you and animals.

Bring Food to Share
Every family's holiday tradition has one thing in common: lots of food. Show your family how delicious vegetarian food can be by bringing a dish or two to pass around the table. This will also ensure that you aren't stuck eating nothing but salad and a roll. You could even offer to do all the cooking, invite over a few friends or family members to help with preparations, and serve a vegan feast that's sure to please everybody! Check out our favourite holiday recipes for some great ideas, including vegan versions of holiday classics such as egg nog, bread pudding, and green bean casserole.

Dealing With 'The Question'
We've all been there. You sit down to eat, and as everyone starts digging into the rotting carcass that's sitting in the middle of the table, someone asks: "So, why don't you eat meat anyway?" You feel your stomach tighten and you take a deep breath, but you're just not sure what to say. It's not very effective to get into a long discussion about cruelty to animals during a holiday dinner, but you also don't want to let the animals down by saying nothing or calling it a personal decision, so say something like this instead: "This is an issue that is really important to me. I believe that if you saw how animals suffer in animal factories and slaughterhouses, you would be horrified and wouldn't want to support it. But I've found that having this discussion with a table full of people can be unpleasant for some, and I don't want to monopolize the entire conversation. I do have some literature and videos, and I'd love to talk to you about this later." This way, you've raised the moral issue and come across as the nicest person at the table.

Get Active
We hope that you can schedule some time in the coming weeks to hand out PETA's "What's Wrong With Eating Turkeys?" leaflets and "Think Before You Eat" cards. Please fill out the form, and I will send you 25 leaflets and 50 cards. I'll also include a "Holidays Are Murder on Turkeys" poster. If you can use more or have any special requests, please include that in the additional request section of your order form.

If you can find a place with plenty of space and people in the evenings, you might consider setting up an information table and using a portable DVD player to show a compelling video. We can send you a looped copy of PETA's undercover investigation of a turkey farm—just include that in the additional request section of your order form. To view the video, click here.

We hope that these tips will help you to enjoy a happy and compassionate holiday season!

Sincerely,

Christy Griffin
Senior Activist Liaison
[email protected]
757-622-7382, ext. 8267

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GR8RALLY said:
I second that as well. Just glad I don't get the emails you get from PETA.

Somebody's got too to keep the "Good Guys" informed!:wink:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
wow after reading that I halfway expected it to be signed David Koresh or Jim Jones!! Talk about a cult!!! Flingr

·
11,954 Posts
Those people need to all be loaded up and taken away.

·
11,954 Posts
Ryan said:
I sent Christy an email asking her if she is hot. :wink:

It's the little things that bring me joy. :)

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GR8RALLY said:
What, air the TRUTH? Come on now!:eek: LOL
Just curious???? How much speed you getting out of your bow with that sick draw length? I am getting 255 ft/second out of mine with a 395 grain arrow with a 27" draw.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
They're a bunch of Beauties, aren't they? Thanks FTH for doing the dirty work of receiving their blather. Makes for some tremendous comic releif, though, at times...

Methinks these people suffer from the massive guilt of understanding Nature made us predators, and they just cannot bear that reality, that we are predators.

We are omnivorous for a reason. Totally escapes them.

For those families that must endure their annual holiday feast being a magnet for some PETA vegan wacko pep rally, complete with exhibitor's booth, handouts and the "slick looped DVD on turkey farms", take not of those leather shoes, purse and the like, and ask, ummm.... why?

I would also ask why would they be so cruel to eat vegetables only? Don't they know the farmers do everything they can, including shooting animals, to keep animals from the vegetables? So it doesn't hurt their bottom line? At least when you eat meat, you put that poor, suffering, starving, "boy I want to eat that farmer's fresh veggies" animal out of that misery, and you get a nutritional benefit to boot!

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks again FTH!

·
Registered
784 Posts
heck i think we should all email her and ask for 25 leaflets, 50 cards and a DVD.

That should help to put a dent in thier budget :)

·
First name's Chad
692 Posts
Funny...I never knew I fell into the category of "meat-eater". I like how the e-mail talks about behaving in an adult manner by not boycotting family events etc., but then goes on to describe turkey as a rotting carcass...yes so mature. Sheesh. My favorite PETA line I've ever heard (this was as I was entering a grocery store) was that "Feeding your child meat is child abuse".

·
Registered
53 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Just curious???? How much speed you getting out of your bow with that sick draw length? I am getting 255 ft/second out of mine with a 395 grain arrow with a 27" draw.
Never tested. However I will tell you that I only use one pin on my sight since there is a very minor difference of approx. 1 1/2" from shooting from 10 yards to 30 yards. The 10, 20,30 pins were just basically on top of each other, so I just mentally compensate for the difference by just using the one pin. I do have a pin for the 40 yards though, but seldom use it except at practice, because you never know. Right!:wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
tackscall said:
I've got to have a "Holidays Are Murder On Turkeys" poster for my garage. I've just got to! That is awesome!

LOL, I need to find me one of those posters. Give me something to chuckle about everytime I head out in the field.:laugh:

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
tackscall said:
I've got to have a "Holidays Are Murder On Turkeys" poster for my garage. I've just got to! That is awesome!
:ROFLMAO:

:amen:

Here you go!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts