Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for feedback from those with experience getting standard size broaheads to tune with field points at higher speeds. I know that recent trends have been toward smaller heads like Wacems/Slicktricks/Shuttles etc. and they make sense.

What about larger heads like Muzzy Phantoms, Magnus Stingers. Can these heads tune well. I don't mind shooting 4 inch vanes and I shoot about 270-280 feet per second.

thanks,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

I have some stingers but they were for my recurve, that's good to here they worked for you right out of your compound. What kind of fletch do you have? Arrow speed?

thanks

Anyone have success with Phantoms?

·
Registered
141 Posts
My experience with the 100 grain, 4-blade Stingers at 271 FPS was the same as JohnBSox......they grouped right with the field points....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Tom, thats two good experiences with stingers so far. In a way that seems to contradict the notion that you have to shoot an expandable or short Wacem/Shuttle/Slicktrick for good flight at high speed.

·
Registered
985 Posts
stinger/phatoms accuate out of high speed bows

I shot the mangus two blade and buzz cut 4 blade at 289fps with know trouble at all on a 367gr arrow.With a 4 inch feather.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
John,

I have some stingers but they were for my recurve, that's good to here they worked for you right out of your compound. What kind of fletch do you have? Arrow speed?

thanks

Anyone have success with Phantoms?
I'm shooting 4" feathers and blazers. I prefer to shoot the feathers, but I carry some blazers in case of rain. They shoot right with one another. I'm shooting 400 grain arrows at 272 fps. I'm very happy with the flight of these broadheads.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have used the Phantoms in the past. I used 4 inch helical feathers to stabilize them. I could not get them to fly good at high speeds using anything less [Blazers, 4in offset Duravanes]. At long range and high speeds they just did not group well without the big helical feathers. Also they were not sharp enough. I had to spend a lot of time to get them shaving sharp. Muzzy says they are sharper now.

If you can get them to fly right, and if they are sharp enough, they are an extremely durable head. I have used them on elk and caribou with great results. Never had a broken or bent blade.

I have used Wasp Sharpshooters for the past few years. They look like a mini version of the Phantom. They are very sharp right ouy of the package and they fly great using helical Blazers. You might consider them. Good luck.

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
I have used Phantoms out of a Bowtech set at 65# and shooting 280 FPS while using blazer vanes and was spot on out to 60 yards. It's not the head, it's the entire package of bow, arrow and head and to have to be tuned to allow you to shoot any broadhead.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I have shot Stinger 2 and 4 blade heads at over 340 fps without any problem.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm shooting 274fps with 100gr stingers and the fly great out to 70yds. No problems at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, that's several of you now shooting Stingers at pretty high speeds. Thanks guys. I'm about to start tuning for elk.

I'm a finger shooter so I have to have a pretty forgiving setup since the arrows are always coming out of the bow with a little paradox. I'd like to shoot something like a Phantom at ~270fps. But don't know if I can without going to crazy fletch like 4x4.

Otherwise I'll just go to something like a SlickTrick/Shuttle so I don't have to mess with tuning nearly as much.

Anyone else with Phantoms, Hellrazors, G5s, Razorcaps? I like Stingers but at my ~270/480grain setup I'd like to take advantage of the energy and shoot at least a three blade. I know the Stinger is can be a 4 blade but the bleeders are really small.

thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts