Archery Talk Forum banner

What is your Top 3 midwest states you want to hunt ?

• OH

Votes: 128 32.7%
  • IN

Votes: 23 5.9%
  • WI

Votes: 93 23.8%
  • IL

Votes: 244 62.4%
  • IA

Votes: 328 83.9%
  • MO

Votes: 78 19.9%
  • KS

Votes: 258 66.0%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a partner to the what you consider a midwestern deer state .I want to know what 3 states pick 3 on the poll and then from your number one priority to hunt and chase whitetail bucks in order on this poll second and then your third choice .A short why you want to hunt these states might be interesting conversation .

There are 7 states that have risen dramaticly above all others and 2 or 3 that are huge on the midwest poll!Got me to wondering about this post.

So please do the poll questions

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And the pattern starts to show its ugly face !!! Agin .

Funny thing is theses states aif I am not mistaken draw tag only states and two of them are somewhat tuff to get !!???:eek:

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I picked Iowa , ILL , Ks ,because I never have hunted either , I go to Ohio every year and have hunting Ind before for a few years.

· Registered
383 Posts

Funny thing is theses states aif I am not mistaken draw tag only states and two of them are somewhat tuff to get !!???:eek:
I believe the question was "which states we would like to hunt", not which states we can get tags for. In reality, most of us will never get a chance to hunt any of those states, but we can all dream :darkbeer: You can't blame us n.eastern, southern, or western guy's for wanting to hunt IL, IA, and KS!!!

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts

those two draw states are known for killing a bigger number of trophy bucks year after year... thats probaly why there is a pattern IMO. Almost everyone is a trophy hunter expecially ones that are traveling and putting alot of time/money into it so they want to go where they have a better chance of taking a animal they are proud of.

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the fact that the tags are very limited is one of the top reasons that the states that post up the biggest of the big deer yearly and tend to have what many consider to be the best hunting experiances for out of staters to enjoy .Also I beleive that if you look at the top 4 or 5 states that hunters want to hunt they have actually low hunter per square mile densities and over all numbers are low as well.

And yes this is a wana hunt there thread not that we will ever get to hunt it thread .:)

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
IA, KS, IL in that order...Well I live in IA so that might not be real fair, lol. KS is ontop of my short list of states I want to whitetail hunt in... Something about the prarie like landscape really makes me want to hunt it.

· Registered
520 Posts
Il, IA and MO. I have already hunted Kansas and Ohio. I saw much larger racks in Kansas. There were also some bruisers seen driving thru MO. Texas was pretty nice as well!

· Registered
2,046 Posts
i live in ohio and love it. lots of deer and a lot of potential for big bucks. i am however going to try very hard to hunt kentucky this year. you should really look into western kentucky. big bucks there too!

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Ok

IA........simply less pressure and more top enders here than anywhere else I have been. Many are big Typicals also....for me, a bonus.

KS...if it doesn't slow down with the new Regs (I think it is all ready showing signs), but still a better bet for # of Top enders.....especially Non Typicals, than IL and many put it over IA because of the draw odds. Illinois is great, but expensive, and I think you had better pony up lease fees, because the Outfitters have to hunt HARD to make money.

Three was tough.....I chose Ohio.....more good Public land than a lot of states (from what I have seen).....it is on the upswing for trophy production....and it is close to NY where I live. I really fought with WI on this.......but lease fees are high and competition is fierce on Public land in WI......but I would put private land in WI up against Illinois , best for best on any given occasion.....where I hunted in Trempeleau County is as good as it gets.

If I had a "free pass" to pick 3 not on the list it would be KY, Nebraska, and Colorado

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
IA, IL, KS in that order. I live in Iowa and love hunting here, lots of deer just no big bucks :) I spend alot of time in IL visiting family and see plenty of deer there as well. Never been to KS but I hear thats where all the bruiser bucks moved to so Id like to go and see for myself.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.