Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You need to keep it for a couple of years without buying any others :dead:

I'm sure many people here do just that-buy a new bow every few years, sometimes 5 plus years. My good friend back home is like that: He generally keeps a bow for about 6-8 years.

Myself on the other hand, generally pick up at least 2 or 3 through the year and then whittle my choice down as hunting season nears. There's been years when I've tried 5 or 6. It's more because I'm OCD than anything truly wrong with any of the bows I try :thumb: I'm also the same way with guitars :guitarist2:

So if you HAD to pick a bow tomorrow, based on performance & comfort, accuracy & forgiveness, and rock solid reliability, shot day in and day out for the next couple of years and if it had issues you'd just have to have a solid company and warranty backing you and get the bow fixed- what would you choose?

I'm in this situation-voluntarily- me and my wonderful GF (whom I'm planning on marrying) recently had a serious talk about the things in life we want for our future-We both have areas where we could cut down on excessive, non neccessary spending- so basically my end of this deal is this scenario with choosing that one bow (I hunt only, possibly would do some 3D-though not competitively)

Frankly, even though I love both of them for alot of reasons, I'd choose neither of the bows I own right now (BowTech Admiral, and Elite GT-500) taking every single factor into consideration.

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and pretty much have made a decision, but what would YOU choose were you in the same sitch? :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tell you it just can't be done.:wink:

They only make them to use for a year don't they?

Same way I've always looked at it, but apparently thats not actually the case! :eek:

whoodathunkit?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I just did that exact thing, and I chose the AM32. I bought this bow with no intention on trading, swapping, or selling it for at least 5 years.
I believe that of all the bows on the market the AM is the best of all worlds.
There are faster bows, but they are not as forgiving.
There are more accurate bows, but they are not as durable.
There are cheaper bows, but they lack the fine details.

Can you tell I love this bow?

And this is my first Hoyt, I am not a blind brand name guy.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I love to trade bow's but if I could only keep one it would be my Hoyt alpha max 35,,I can do every thing with that bow..I can hunt ,,shoot 3d,, just about anything,,and they seem very durable,,hoyt customer service is A+

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I were going to buy "one" bow with the goal of keeping it for a long period of time,the choice would be easy. HOYT!!!!!!! I currently own three bows and only one is a Hoyt. There are things about each bow that I like, but if I could only have one bow, it would be a Hoyt. I think Hoyt bows are the most durable bows available. As far as which model, that would be a tough choice.

Good Luck

Slink

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Rytera Alien-X is my choice. I like to try new things and new models. It's just fun and I've gone through about a dozen bows in the last 2 years. After shooting the Alien-X prototype though I decided I wouldn't be trading or selling it once it comes (my bow is on order). I still will probably try different bows over the next couple years but the A-X isn't leaving my stable.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Got this today.I will be shooting it for a while unless Hoyt comes up with
something better.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
my buckmaster g2 has been with me for 5 years, there is no reason it can't make it another 5. It is the bow that at the time fit me best, with regular maintenance, and tune ups, i see no reason to change.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have shot alot of bows the last three years. And if i had to chose just one to keep for the next five years it would be a really hard decision. I love my elite synergy but would take the hoyt katera i have over that everyday of the week and twice on sunday. I just bought a high country speed force which is an incredible bow. If i had to choose today i would take the hoyt katera. I havent had enough time with the speed force yet. Ask me this question a a couple of months and i might have a different answer for you. Until just a couple of years ago i usually kept my bows for a few years. When i worked in a pro shop i would go thru 5-10 a year. I am having fun trying everything out there and seeing the improvements.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I think I would choose a Bowtech 82nd. They have very few problems, they are fast and forgiving and Bowtech is great to deal with. I believe this bow will continue to be popular for a few years to come.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
This coming season will be my 3rd with my Guardian....it very likely won't be my last. I am also like you, usually a new hunting bow every year or two at most. I've killed 4 deer and 3 hogs with this bow and had never killed more than 2 critters with any other bow I've owned.

hd

1 - 20 of 168 Posts