Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a thread about someone somehow attaching a piece of paper or somithing in your sight window that says pick a spot. I tried tape and that didn't work, it just fell off. I'm scared to use white out. Any suggestions? I never can remember this when the moment comes. I've been lucky so far. My first to kills of my sort bowhuntin career came last year- I hit that artery up close to the spine on a BB and it didn't live 10 seconds and nipped an 8-points liver and he died quick also. For some reason i just forget and just get the pin on it, so i need somethin to remind me cause i couldn't stand wounding one.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Practice on 3-D Deer targets all summer to develop shot placement skills. When that big 10 is in front of you, you won't have time to read.

·
Registered
564 Posts
NAP used to make "Stay Calm Pick a Spot" stickers. I actually had one on my bow and would always catch myself rereading the words whenever a big boy was inbound. Kind of one of those "Don't forget to breath" things. I still catch myself reminding me to "stay calm and pick a spot" whenever a deer is inbound. I just don't need the sticker now:D

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Actually, quite a few guys use little "reminders" on the inside of their bow limb. Hey, if it helps remind them to concentrate at the time of the shot...go for it! :D

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Equally inmportant is -

FOLLOW THROUGH..

A lot of deer are missed because a bowhunter will drop his arm to see the arrow hit the deer.

FOLLOW THROUGH..

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts.
Didn't need the reminder tonight when a 2 1/2 year old doe stepped out in front of me. Hit her a tad high right behind the shoulder. She jumped, took a couple of steps, turned around and looked back (her expression was like "What the???") and fell over. Less than 10 seconds. Man was i proud of myself for staying calm and picking a spot. Now i can wait for ole grandaddy now that i got one under my belt this year. Hopefully I'll remember to pick a spot then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my sticker

The note on the top limb of my bow says
CALM DOWN
PICK A SPOT
FOLLOW THROUGH
beleive it or not reading the little note really helps my buck fever
whatever works for you go for it

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
If you have a deer come in that you aren't going to take (BB, doe, etc.) practice on it by drawing and aiming at a spot on it but of course keep your finger away from the trigger!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I printed out a sign off the computer for the top limb of the bow and it says:

draw

aim / Pick a spot

release

put it on a buddy bow for him and he now has taken two deer. That is the biggest problem is to shoot for the total deer...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts