Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience using the Summit Python climibing stand? If so please let me know. The main thing im wondering about is the front bar. Can you sit on it to climb, since its fold down so low? etc... Im having serious trouble deciding on a good bowhunting climbing stand and its time to make up my mind and buy.

I originally was looking at the cobra, or the bushmaster, but no front bar. Im hearing no front bar = difficult to climb.??? Any help would BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
climbing stand

I have the summitt viper and the cobra. The viper has the bar which you can use as a stand up,sit down climber. Great stand,easy to use, built very well and best of all light. I wouldn't go in the woods without it. You also recieve a climbing belt with the stand. The Cobra has no bar but that is what I use for bowhunting as I don't want to stand up if I don't have to. I reccomend either one but for stand up,sit down the viper is the one you want.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But how hard is the cobra to use climbing? Without the bar? Ive never had a climber that wasnt sit down stand up style? Still wondering about that python too!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cobra

Doogy,

First off, you're considering the right stand manf. Summit is the way to go in my opinion. I've eithee owned or tried them all (loggy, lone wolf, api, treelounge, recluse, timber tall) etc. I currently have a viper, python, and cobra. As you know you climb differently (I put my forearms on the padded arms of the seat/climbing portion) with the Cobra since it has no bar to sit on.

It takes a little more effort with the cobra but it is still very easy to climb with.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Summit or Api climbers. Very comfortable.Wear a safety belt. Summit is a hair slicker. Both are quiet, safe,light and effective,easy to set up.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Climber

I've got a buckshot bigshot that I love. The seat is removable so you can sit on it to climb & then move it to put your back against the tree or leave it there & face the tree. You can buy a back rest for it that can also double as a rifle rest.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you have never used a stand that doesn't have the sit down bar, here's what yopu have to get used to........

You will use the top part mostly the same as the other models, but you will either put your forearms on the sides or grasp with your hands.....then you will pull the bottom part up with your legs and stomach muscles. It's not as quiet climbing this way, for me anyway.

If you don't do situps on a regular basis, this stand will show you where you need some work.

As far as hunting goes, I prefer the open front, but for climbing, I prefer the sit down-stand up method.:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ol Man is hard to beat in my opinion. They are incredible comfortable and reasonably stable. At first I didnt like them due to slipping, after some scary slips I learned to stay on the front of the stand, by doing that I have had no trouble with it, I have even climbed Sycamores, which are tough with any stand!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Summit Viper XL!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Summit makes quality stuff. I've still got one of their original climbers in the garage, and I've used their other products over the years also, I still regularly use their swiftree stick ladders.

Having said that, I am now firmly sold on the Lone Wolf climbing(and hang-on) stands. They are the easiest things to set-up, and are very lightweight, yet rock solid. You can mess with the rest, or try the best. (IMHO of course!:D ) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
371 Posts
brock ratcliff said:
At first I didnt like them due to slipping, after some scary slips I learned to stay on the front of the stand
The old Baker stands worked good if you stayed on the front, but if you didn't down you went.....I slid about 12 foot down a hickory tree one time.

I won't use another stand that slips any!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
summit

Another vote for Summit. I have 2 bushmaster xls models, they are the lightest and easiest to use. Open front perfect for bowhunting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my mind is definetly made up on a summit. I guess ill buy either the cobra, or the bushmaster. Same but bushmaster has no back rest. If i spend $200+ on one I dont care how many situps it takes ill be a pro at it by October 1st.:D

--------
"I've got a buckshot bigshot that I love. The seat is removable so you can sit on it to climb & then move it to put your back against the tree or leave it there & face the tree. You can buy a back rest for it that can also double as a rifle rest."
_____

Ill check into the buckshot also. Sounds interesting. Is this a summit also???

·
Registered
371 Posts
UPS just brought my son's new stand and few minutes ago....I bought him a Summit Viper Classic........I got it for $169:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I could repeat Pinwheel 12's post word for word with the exception I also use Lone Wolf sticks. Bit pricey but VERY nice stuff! Packs very compact compared to Summit. With the "sit & climb" you can fold the front bar out of the way if you so choose.

George

·
Registered
693 Posts
You cannot beat Ol Man. They are very user friendly and the most cofortable climber out there. Who would of thought that a piece of netting could be so cofortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts