Archery Talk Forum banner

Picked up 6 FPS for $1.50 (Katera XL question)

783 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BigDaddy1975
Kinda surprised, getting the Katera Xl set up for 3D and added some nocks...picked up 6 fps. Not bad, never tried it before, kinda suprised.

I am not a speed freak (tried to be once, not man enough), but does anyone know how much speed might be gained by getting rid of that DoO-DOO fuse string?? this thing is a pile, honestly, i shot this bow for like 3 months last year and the string looks worse than the one on my commander that i had for 2 indoor seasons with 1000's of arrows.

Looking for someone with a bit of experience in this.

thanks guys

Joe

PS: it is shooting 300 grain Victory VX22 at 30" DL and 60 lbs at 319 FPS.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I am also a little disappointed in the Fuse strings on my new Katera. I understood they really improved the stock strings on Hoyt bows that past couple of years. I was in the habit just tossing the stock strings and putting on some Bucknasty's right away - just to save frustration.

But I decided to keep the Fuse strings on the Katera. After a 50 shot break in, I tuned everything back in mid January. A couple hundred shots later, the ATA has increased 3/8". I just retuned it again. If it continues to stretch over the next couple months, they are going in the trash can.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
You'll gain some speed with new strings...John's Customs builds all of mine and I always pickup some speed and the bow is a little quieter afterwards. It's a win win situation.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Youll get about 9 with 25 grains on each end. Thats 1 BowJax Ultra and two nock sets close to the cams.

Will quiet the shot as well.

If you can find a dealer with large shrink tubing...makes for a finished look.

Attachments

· eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Youll get about 9 with 25 grains on each end. Thats 1 BowJax Ultra and two nock sets close to the cams.

Will quiet the shot as well.

If you can find a dealer with large shrink tubing...makes for a finished look.
i will have to try that one

I think my strings hav streatched too, so gettin her back in tune should pick up a couple more. any hints on tuning tweeks that will add a couple?
JOe

· Registered
10,560 Posts
Kinda surprised, getting the Katera Xl set up for 3D and added some nocks...picked up 6 fps. Not bad, never tried it before, kinda suprised.

I am not a speed freak (tried to be once, not man enough), but does anyone know how much speed might be gained by getting rid of that DoO-DOO fuse string?? this thing is a pile, honestly, i shot this bow for like 3 months last year and the string looks worse than the one on my commander that i had for 2 indoor seasons with 1000's of arrows.

Looking for someone with a bit of experience in this.

thanks guys

Joe

PS: it is shooting 300 grain Victory VX22 at 30" DL and 60 lbs at 319 FPS.
Hi Sqeekieslayer hows it going on the east side of the state. I really thought the same about Hoyt as I did Mathews and the past PSE strings &cables should have much better string&cales on there top line of bows. That XL is a nice bow and nothing like picking up a little speed like that with the nocks.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
i will have to try that one

I think my strings hav streatched too, so gettin her back in tune should pick up a couple more. any hints on tuning tweeks that will add a couple?
JOe
452 X on the strings...24 strand. H&M built mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.