Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Shooter of flesh
7,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gentleman came into the place I work and showed me why he now wears an arm guard! Two of the pics he sent me, and one I took myself. The first picture is of his arm at the hospital. The second picture if of his arm after he got it all stitched up and the last one I’ll explain.
He was shooting in his home while standing next to a window. I don’t remember if he hit her self more than once but he tore his arm up pretty good. The next picture I took at our shop while he told me the story about what happened. Well he was at the hospital getting his arm stitch back up his wife went home to clean up the mess… They said it look like a murder scene! When she got the whole floor looking like it was clean enough she looked out the window and saw that mess from his arm on the glass with a bunch of white specs all around it… The white specs being fat particles.
1B52DC9F-F7D6-4BFA-9678-E691D24F7BBE.jpeg
82ECCC92-8617-4E6F-A536-0EAE97C31B15.jpeg
67469EBC-3315-4B89-8892-6F0774E74993.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yea, doesn't really tell What happened.. Trad bow? Combound? Haven't personally been able To get a combound hit me no matter how bad my form has been... 🤔

·
The Impartial Archer
19,175 Posts
This is NOT normal.......just to be clear. I stopped wearing an arm guard in the 90's so lets be honest about it and not try to scare folks into wearing one. If you are new, have poor form, are trying to shoot a draw that's 2 inches too long because you pretend to have monkey arms (but just like the extra speed or like the bragging rights of shooting a 33 inch draw) then these things can happen.

But if you are doing things correctly the arm guard is not needed. Hopefully he fixes the problem after this and doesn't just cover it up with an arm guard because something BAD happened here. Best of luck to him.

·
Un-bannable!
2,256 Posts
I'd guess he smoked his arm a time or two or three before he broke the skin. Got it softened up a bit first.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
When shooting a compound bow If anything this illustrates the importance of learning how to shoot with proper form and holding the bow at 45° in order to position your arm away from the string.

Not to long ago I got a nasty string slap when I was shooting outside and my hands got really sweaty. In struggling to hold the bow on the last shot as I was drawing the bow, I felt the bow slipping and instinctively grabbed the bow as I shot the arrow. My arm wasn't like the OP's arm but sure was black and blue for a week.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I’m a new archer. When I started out (last year) I was paranoid about getting slapped by my string. I got bit once pretty bad by a Prime that was at a poundage I had no business shooting at. After my form was corrected I haven’t needed my arm guard since.

Why is it that I see so many pros wearing arm guards in competition? Is it a safety/insurance issue? I just can’t imagine they really need them. Something I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
2,457 Posts
In the 33 years I've been shooting bows I've never seen that. String slap sure but ice never seen anything like this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts