Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of using the screw-in style tree steps. Had a friend of mine who owns an alum. frabricating shop make me some custom climbing sticks to my specs. Very pleased with the results.

Best thing of all is I was able to make them for less than 1/2 price of what I could buy them for

Here's a link to some photo's if your interested:

http://community.webshots.com/album/553735349jaXSsi

* very lightweight - 400# plus working weght.
* 46 total feet in 5' and 3' mix & match sections.
* wider 7" long individual steps.
* Camo paint.
* Steps spaced for easy stretch free climbing.
* sticks are secured to tree using custom made polyprop. cam-buckle straps from strapworks.com.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
cool...

now how about making me 3 sets and shipping them to me!! What would it cost (aside of shipping)? Roy

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Those are sharp!

·
Registered
435 Posts
If your friend wants to make some money, post the details!

I just started using the climbing sticks last year and will never go back to tree steps. For one, I hunt on managed timber land and there aren't any "cull" trees anymore to use the screw in steps. And 2, those screw in steps are dangerous, hanging off a tree to screw them in and if they break you will get disemboweled. A good climbing stick is awesome.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i want some too

I would buy some if your gonna market and sell some. Put me on the list!!!!

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Anyone that has a buddy that is handy with a welder and some scrap alum or steel stock can whip these up really cheap!

Very nice looking!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
romanc333 said:
I would buy some if your gonna market and sell some. Put me on the list!!!!

Thanks
Steve
I'd like to but unfortunately the liability side would be too great. You could always look-up a local fabricating shop, bring in a prototype set to copy from and have a set made up for yourself, then order straps seperate as I did. The only cost savings I did was paint rather than powder-coat. Figured being aluminum, painting would be good enough.

FYI I've got about $140 into them (parts/labor) - $300 + for something similar at Cabela's of equal length in aluminum. Steel is cheaper of course.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Decent

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
buckhunter2054 said:
How heavy are they?
Being aluminum -about 2 lbs. per 5 foot section. I can carry all the sections to get me 23' in the air with very little effort.

They would be easy to make out of 1/8" tube steel and an Arc welder - although a little heavier. If anyone is interested I could post some measurements.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Very cool.
Nice woork too.

I made a couple adder sections out of steel a while ago to get higher then 16'.
I dont carry mine though. LOL
The atv does the work for me.
I set mine up weeks in advance though...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VTbowman said:
Very cool.
Nice woork too.

I made a couple adder sections out of steel a while ago to get higher then 16'.
I dont carry mine though. LOL
The atv does the work for me.
I set mine up weeks in advance though...
Yea - I hunt private land adjacent to state land abd usually have my stands up weeks in advance. A little leary though that these sticks are gonna "grow feet and walk away" . I may hang my stand now - remove the sticks and leave the stand hung in the tree.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts