Archery Talk Forum banner

Pics of you drawn back?

3929 Views 41 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Big Ragu
I was wondering if any of you could post pics of your form? My form now is not working out to good so i was thinking you guys could post some pics of you shooting?
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
902 Posts
Hope this helps
You could do with some adjustments youself -

Original

Quick photoshop adjustment

Most noteably :
shortening your draw length to give you a more natural posture and muscle positions (you could also shorten the release aid strap if thats possible to bring your hand and rear shoulder into position).
loosening both your hands - dont grip the bow or the release.

· P#NW045
12,859 Posts
You could do with some adjustments youself -

Original

Quick photoshop adjustment

Most noteably :
shortening your draw length to give you a more natural posture and muscle positions (you could also shorten the release aid strap if thats possible to bring your hand and rear shoulder into position).
loosening both your hands - dont grip the bow or the release.
How do those pictures work?
I have tried shooting with a shorter draw length( it is only 27"). It doesn't feel right, and it feels kinda cramped if I go shorter than 27". I don't grip the bow hard( I have a hard time shooting with an open hand because right at the shot I close my hand), but I should loosen up my grip some.

Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
Here's one from above. N7709K, even though I'm shootign a longbow, that's the same form you would use with your compound. Straight through the bow arm and shoulders. This will help loosen your grip also, as well as improve your consistency.

It's too bright outside to get some pictures from the ide, but I should have some later.

Attachments

· Registered
273 Posts
Midwesthunter:
Maybe instead of looking on here for "how to shoot advice" you should look at books and videos that show you what to do. Although there are some pretty darn good archers on here, none of us are perfect... yet! We're all working on it!
Kegan:
Nice alignment! what's the poundage?

· Registered
902 Posts
How do those pictures work?
I have tried shooting with a shorter draw length( it is only 27"). It doesn't feel right, and it feels kinda cramped if I go shorter than 27". I don't grip the bow hard( I have a hard time shooting with an open hand because right at the shot I close my hand), but I should loosen up my grip some.

Thanks for the advice.
They are meant to highlight the bone and muscle posture within the pic, and give you something to compare (the alignment of the lines is easeir to see than bones within the body). of course this leaves some room for interpretation as all people are different but it does help get things together.

If you have fully tested shooting at (a range of) lower draw lengths and they dont feel comfortable i wouldnt worry about it. But remmember; your body has a memory and can give you similar feedback when something is different as when something is wrong.

Work on the bow hand grip though, try to make a ring with your thumb and index finger to help stop the grabbing.

Straight through the bow arm and shoulders. This will help loosen your grip also, as well as improve your consistency.
Triangle of POWAH!

This posture has many advantages, one of the main ones being the ability to comfortably use higher weights.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
Midwesthunter:
Maybe instead of looking on here for "how to shoot advice" you should look at books and videos that show you what to do. Although there are some pretty darn good archers on here, none of us are perfect... yet! We're all working on it!
Kegan:
Nice alignment! what's the poundage?
Thank you:)! It's a little over 70#

BigBc's right. It makes it much easier to shoot higher weights (before, as soon as I became tired I couldn't shoot my stronger longbows worth a darn. Since adopting proper form, this hasn't been nearly as big an issue).

It will also make you much more consistent on targets and in the woods.

· Registered
902 Posts
Yep, i'm now officialy saving some moeny for a new bow. Here's a song dedicated to my current bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZild-HTg8.
Your best bet is the classifieds or eBay, you should be able to pick up a more serious bow at a great price when you get the money together.
Stick at it with your current bow and stay focused on getting the new one :thumbs_up

· Registered
902 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.