Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any sample pictures I can compare a fast-hacked S40 vs a traditional 3-wire S40?

I can't make my mind up between the two, and seeing as I MIGHT use the cam on a trail (although usually at a mineral site), I would hate to do a 5-wire external with the SS board and HPWFL, and have empty or cut-off pictures.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,720 Posts
I

don't have any field pics with the two side-by-side - but it makes a big difference - not only with the speed, but with sound - if the lens telescopes in and out the unit makes much more noise.
Please be advised that if you are planning to do the four wire hack the best board is Mark's FS board. It is really the only board on the market right now that capitalizes on the 4-wire hack.
Also you mentioned pairing it with the HPWA frsnel from SSS - be sure to let Mark know in advance so that he can offset the PIR on the Yeti. As many have recently found the 3/8" standoffs that are required to appropriately align the Yeti with the HPWA often do not provide enough clearnace between the board components and the case. Mark can offset the PIR by a 1/4" and then you can use 1/2" standoffs with no probelm.

Joe

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've had 3-wire and 4-wire S-40's and don't see any reason to go with the 3-wire. All my new cams are automatically 4-wire. You can't be too quick or quiet. I don't know why anyone would want a slower camera.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Some argue th opposite

Some do not feel this way. They feel the extra .5 second and the quieter lens is not worth it. Also some use one brand of board and that is it. Also some like the fact it is easier to use outside the box. I for one have always used the 4 wire hack. I do not use my cams outside the box. I have enough problems worrying about whether I turned the unit on. The last thing I need to do is change my settings because I was using it outside the box. That is one reason I don`t use servos to much because it is a trailcam to me not a family camera. I can get a better one for that. The four wire hack is very controversial to many people. many on other sights just don`t like it very much. That is the reason other board makers do not use the lens mod in there programming.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some do not feel this way. They feel the extra .5 second and the quieter lens is not worth it. Also some use one brand of board and that is it. Also some like the fact it is easier to use outside the box. I for one have always used the 4 wire hack. I do not use my cams outside the box. I have enough problems worrying about whether I turned the unit on. The last thing I need to do is change my settings because I was using it outside the box. That is one reason I don`t use servos to much because it is a trailcam to me not a family camera. I can get a better one for that. The four wire hack is very controversial to many people. many on other sights just don`t like it very much. That is the reason other board makers do not use the lens mod in there programming.
Why is it considered "controversial" if you don't mind me asking? More risk involved?

·
Registered
974 Posts
i dont use 4 wire because i pretty much strictly use the simple sniper board on most of my builds. they fit perfectly in a plano 1425 with 2d's. i have p41s and p32 to be my faster cams, so i dont mind the s600 being a little slower on my feeders. noise isnt an issue either, heck if they dont mind the feeder spinning to beat heck i doubt they mind a tiny little lens extending.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Board manufacturers

Many of the board manufacturers don`t feel there is a positive to the 4 wire hack. That is why they do not support it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts