Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of scrapes that you have found while out scouting or hunting?

I've seen a lot of rubs and rub lines but I haven't come across anything that I can without a doubt claim as a scrape. I saw a little bit of scratched up ground once but I'm not sure it was a scrape.

How big will a scrape be? Will it be bowl shaped? Will there be a strong musk odor? Are scrapes typically found along rub lines?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Look for the ground cleared away and possibly a branch hanging over it. They call it a licking branch. That would be a classic case.

You may find tracks in the scrape as well. You'll catch on to it. Try to get with someone who has seen some.

Good luck , everybody is still learning.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Scrapes come in many different forms. You can find scrapes in the spring and summer. Most of these are like a phone book. Deer will come by and leave a squirt. They also have glands in their hoofs that leave a scent. This is to tell everyone who is in the area. All animals are here to reproduce. Their entire life is devoted to it. If there were no other deer around the lonely one would move to a populated area. These type scrapes don’t have a licking branch over them most times. But like all scrapes they will mess like deer piss. Along the rub line you should find a few scrapes when the rut gets closer. They will most likely have a branch 4 to 5 feet over them or a tree or bush next to them where the deer rub their head gland (above the eye brows). All of these things from rubs to scrapes are sign post to deer. It tells them who is around and who is getting ready to mate. Stick to the rub line if you are trying for a buck. Don’t keep going near them or the buck will only visit late night.

You could make a mock scrape close to the rub line to make the Buck think you’re another buck looking at his girls. Which in turn makes him come back more to find you.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
CityBoy2 said:
Here ya go i hope this helps.

I'd imagine if you pour deer urine on that scrape it will burn like all get out. Oh well...to each his own..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here are some Pictures of a Scrape

These are some Pictures of a Scrape and a Sequence where A Buck is tending the Scrape from my Game Cams...

I have alot of these But thought I would share this one because it depicted this Buck pretty much thruought the entire ritual...

Dan

·
Registered
405 Posts
scrape

I would agree with the previous comments. Was the bowl shape you were referring to from the leaves? If so, this could be from Turkeys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
scrapes

I know a good majorety of scrapes are made at night but. If you drag a rag dipped in doe in heat too where you are down wind of the scrapes this some times smoken hot way to whack a gooden. coyotedube good hunten to you. most hot scrapes end up the size of a wash tub.Just dont touch nothing around them. and they will stay hot until the bucks start chaseing doesv And tell ohio thats some good eye candie before season makes me want too howl and zip a deer

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Hey Ohio,

That was some awesome footage. Nice job!

David

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, thnx Ohio! Keep them commin' of you have more...looks like you're a pro with the picture taking thing!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good Info

Thanks everyone for your input.

OhioBowHntr, those are great pictures! Its very cool :shade: to see a buck in action the way that you have captured him. I know for sure that I have not seen any areas like the one in your pictures but now I know what to look for.

If you have more pictures post them. I think everyone would really dig seeing them.

Good luck to all and keep the information coming.

·
Registered
524 Posts
OhioBowHnter those are some great pics of a picture perfect scrape with licking branch not to mention a nice buck. You have everything. Those shots should be in a magazine. Congrats for capturing that.

Turkey scrapes usually have a point on one side in the direction of travel. And there will most likely be many in one area. The smell will tell you right off which it is. Take a stick and give it a little stir with the end you haven't touched. Then stick your nose down over it. If you jump back and make a nasty face, you found a deer scrape. :mg:

One of my mock scrapes is over 6” deep now. I made it in June. Raked a 3 by 4 foot area an inch deep and put in some deer urine. A mixture of Doe and Buck I made. Not in HEAT Doe. The deer have made 2 more very close to it and tend mine regularly. I go back every week or so and give it a squirt more. I believe it to be the dominant buck. He is not liking the other buck in his yard and made some very big rubs and his own scrape. Only prints in the scrape are very big. And the tree he rubbed is 9” diameter. So I think this is the big boy in town. Hopefully he won’t go nocturnal by the time I get to hunt this area. Once a few hunters are in the woods the big boys only show up at night. They don’t get big from being dumb.

Good luck all

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Harley Rider said:
OhioBowHnter those are some great pics of a picture perfect scrape with licking branch not to mention a nice buck. You have everything. Those shots should be in a magazine. Congrats for capturing that.

Turkey scrapes usually have a point on one side in the direction of travel. And there will most likely be many in one area. The smell will tell you right off which it is. Take a stick and give it a little stir with the end you haven't touched. Then stick your nose down over it. If you jump back and make a nasty face, you found a deer scrape. :mg:

One of my mock scrapes is over 6” deep now. I made it in June. Raked a 3 by 4 foot area an inch deep and put in some deer urine. A mixture of Doe and Buck I made. Not in HEAT Doe. The deer have made 2 more very close to it and tend mine regularly. I go back every week or so and give it a squirt more. I believe it to be the dominant buck. He is not liking the other buck in his yard and made some very big rubs and his own scrape. Only prints in the scrape are very big. And the tree he rubbed is 9” diameter. So I think this is the big boy in town. Hopefully he won’t go nocturnal by the time I get to hunt this area. Once a few hunters are in the woods the big boys only show up at night. They don’t get big from being dumb.

Good luck all
Yep, I’ve seen the turkey scrapes and dusting areas. The scrapes are usually around our oak trees. We have trails that I have cleared through our timber and sometimes I'll find turkey scrapes on the trails.

The deer urine that you have, did you collect it from a deer that you've harvest or did you buy it? If you bought it, what brand is it?

Very cool hearing about the rub on the 9" diameter tree. We had a buck one year that rubbed on a 6" diameter tree. I could tell by the way he tore that tree up he was a big boy, but I never saw him. I didn't know about looking for scrapes at that time but that might have been a good spot to look.

I hope you get your deer! Post some pictures when you get him and send me a message so I don't miss your pictures.

Lots of luck!

P.S.

I took the course and plan to take the advance course.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Gatekeeper said:
I took the course and plan to take the advance course.

Excellent! Best of luck to you with your new toy.

The urine is from a farm in NY. I asked a friend to bring me some back. It was that day’s urine. He had it collected it from deer they were studying for CWD. I have used bottled stuff in the past but feel anything is always better fresh. The bottled stuff was from a local store. Don’t have a clue which one it was. I took like six bottles and put it all in one big bottle. I would leave that bottle in the woods under some leaves.

It’s still not to late to make a mock scrape. Any time before the rut starts will work. I like to do them early because it seems to draw more deer into that area. They seem to go out of their way to stop by and leave their mark.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Do you guys ever put tarsal gel/liquid in the scrapes?

Also, do you ever pee in the scrapes? I think I read that deer don't care is it's human pee in a scrape.... is this true?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts