Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, so I hope it's in the right place. So here it goes,
This past tuesday on my way to work a piebald deer crossed the road in front of my truck, think i'm going to try to get that deer this year, my question here is has anybody here in PA ever gotten a piebald?
Any chance you could share some pics, trying to get extra pumped for archery season, and get any extra info on piebald deer. Almost forgot to ask for info on the piebalds, sorry about that, are they harder to hunt, any extra strategies needed?
Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not in Pennsylvania but in New York I have a property that I hunt where I see piebald as a pretty common occurrence. I have not shot one yet due to the fact the land owner knows they are there and told us specifically to not shoot them. I have had a few opportunities at them as have my buddies that hunt this property. We usually encounter the piebald deer hunting our regular methods stand hunting or hunting from a blind near a food source. Good luck getting your deer.

·
Registered
19,348 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but I see piebalds yearly in my home area of SE Pa, never seen one at my place upstate. I typically see them when I'm driving at work, never lucky enough to see one on stand. When I was a teenager my hunting bud killed a 7pt piebald in Solebury Twp, at that time I never knew they existed.
I cannot believe that they act any differently than any other deer. So you either hunt an area where you know one lives or simply dumb/good luck.

·
BowhunterT100
6,532 Posts
I've seen a few in Union county PA over the years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I teach in Monroe county and 2 or 3 years ago one of my students shot a piebald doe. It seems like he saw a couple but only had one tag.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
They are an inferior deer, meaning they are more suceptible to disease or illness. I had a 1 year old on my property a few years back that looked more like a 5 year old, Roman nose, short legs, & a deformed front leg. A lot of biologists recommend taking them out of a herd, especially if you practice QDM.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
They are an inferior deer, meaning they are more suceptible to disease or illness. I had a 1 year old on my property a few years back that looked more like a 5 year old, Roman nose, short legs, & a deformed front leg. A lot of biologists recommend taking them out of a herd, especially if you practice QDM.
This is a very true statement, piebaldism is a bad recessive gene. Most have deformities, nor always noticable to the average person, to very noticable such as the short legs, short head and ears.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I shot a 7 point piebald in archery a few years back. I don't know about anything being wrong with it. Rack was nice and a good sized deer. Tasted just fine too

·
Registered
31 Posts
Piebalds are rare. I've seen two in my 15 years of hunting. One when driving I had a huge 10 point lope across the road in front of me several years ago. Had a piebald on camera 2 years ago but never saw him in the wild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts