Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for about a month i have been struggling with my self with drifting. i draw my bow settle in and as i aim my bow takes off about 3 ft to the left and i cant bring it back. when it finaly comes close i punchthe trigger. i have been shooting no more than 10 yards. still no difference. i know the drifting is a mental thing but i cant stop my self. what do you guys suggest i do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem, I see the bullseye and I release. I recently read an article that said once your pin settles on the bullseye to count to ten and then release , so far I seem to be grouping better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
blind bail

holding for the count of ten is good but you still will have trigger punch. try blind bail shooting at ten yards or less for a couple days. try to shoot a full round of 60 arrows. after that put up an one spot. shot one arrow at a time. if you drift let down. take a deep breath and try it again. Its hard to over come but just work with it and dont let the arrow fly unless its a good shot. It takes time and its really frusterating but hang in there tou can over come it. good luck

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I used to have this same problem, except I would lock below my intended target. I fought this up until I got a back tension release. I think the fact that you can't punch this type of release, along with the fact that I was focusing more on keeping tension to fire the release as opposed to keeping my pin on a tiny spot has helped my shooting tremendously. Having your pin drift a little around the spot you want to hit isn't necessarily a bad thing, and allowing this to happen while maintaining form and completing a shot with a surprise release will make your shots start hitting the X ring with much more consistency than before.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you want to hold steady on the target, you have to practice holding steady on the target without other distractions such as a target.

Draw, settle into a good relaxed anchor, hold for a few seconds then LET DOWN.

Do NOT release the arrow.

Do this until you can hold on the target with only a normal range of motion. Note that you should accept some movement. Only a few can hold without movement and curiously they don't always beat the guys that have a little range of motion.

Next step is to go to a blank bale and develop a smooth and even release execution. You want to execute with absolutely no hesitation from the time that you begin release execution to your follow through. Smooth & even is the goal.

The third step is to integrate these two close up on a large target. Then gradually work back.

Hope this helps,
Allen

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try shooting with your eyes closed at 5 yds with a big target (indoor wall target). Don't think just shoot over and over again.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
lose it

more to it than this but--- lose the trigger. they are EVIL. get a hinge and learn to shoot it PROPERLY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts