Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about replacing the fiber in some of my pins on my sword 3rd plane to other colors. What all is involved in replacing the fiber? Any special tricks or tools needed?

·
Arenac Archer
544 Posts
Can't really speak for Sword sights, but make sure you get a good , flexible fiber optic. I think someone on here sells "toughfiber" that you can tie in a knot. I tried to replace the fiber optics on a Trophy Ridge Flatliner and all I ended up with was a bunch of broken pieces.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't really speak for Sword sights, but make sure you get a good , flexible fiber optic. I think someone on here sells "toughfiber" that you can tie in a knot. I tried to replace the fiber optics on a Trophy Ridge Flatliner and all I ended up with was a bunch of broken pieces.
That is exactly what I am planning on using! I am just trying to figure out what holds the fiber in the pin.

·
Arenac Archer
544 Posts
Again, can't really be sure on the sword sights, but I melted the ends a little to create a "mushroom" to keep it in place. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sights

I have a sword sight also. I replaced my fiber optics with another color. I put blue in the pins to replace the existing colors. I used an iron to melt (mushroom) one end of the fiber optics. Not sure what type of fiber optics I used, I got it from the local archery shop. I had .019 diameter fiber optics. Overall, it is not to hard, but have to be careful not to break the fiber optics.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that answers it then I just have to mushroom the one end a little to get it to stay put then! Thanks guys!!!

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,697 Posts
Ok that answers it then I just have to mushroom the one end a little to get it to stay put then! Thanks guys!!!

i jsut replaced a yellow fiber in my Tru Glow sight last night....you can mushroom the ends with a lighter too thats how i do it but keep the lighter a ways away from the fiber when doing so....if you have it too close the smoke from the butane can actually cloud the fiber and its not as bright...and it dont take a huge mushroom to keep them in place just a tad bigger than the hole in the pin will work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts