Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently shoot .010 pins and sometimes it seems that my pins glow so much that it looks as if i would be shooting a .029.

Anyone ever have this problem or know of a fix.

· 2 cams + 4 cables = X
3,423 Posts
I have heard that called "starbursting" where the pin has rays coming out of it or a wider halo around it. I had the problem when I changed to a 6X lens and #2 clarifier. Yellow and red fibers were unbearable - I couldn't even focus on my target because of the starburst effect. Green was better, especially if I kept some blue painter's masking tape to tone down the fiber in bright sun. Blue fiber was best, but you have to be careful that you don't wind up with the opposite problem - the blue can fade into lighter colored targets and may not give good visibility in lower light situations.

· Registered
2,965 Posts
I had the same problem when I furst got my Boss Hogg. At the recommendation of another shooter I covered up my wrap with some black electrical tape and it worked great. Now I use a big fat rubber band and just keep it around my scope. I can fine tune the amount of light getting to my wrap with it alot better. Some guys also use a small cutup soda/pop bottle painted black as a sort of sunshade housing.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
It's starbursting....the fiber has got so good it carries a ton more light. Gillingham wrote about this in "that" mag, color the fiber with a sharpie along the sides for about a half inch to an inch then cut it in the colored area and use that end in your up pin or however your fiber is held

· Registered
607 Posts
I use black tape also when outside on a sunny day. Then take it of when shooting inside. Something else I just discovered that helped a bunch is a smaller peep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.