Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a advantage to useing tham that is not clear to me. there are the titanium post you can get at www.magnocks.com so that we dont have to worry about bending tham anymoor but is there something about tham that gives you better arrow flight to put us in the Xs where i need to be all the time LOL just wanted to get some input befor i change my arrow set ups

runawaysXs:cool:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there has to be something about tham alot of the pros use tham i just thought someone could tell me the reasons:cool:

runawaysXs

·
Registered
174 Posts
runawaysXs,

The theory behind pin nocks is, as far as I understand it anyway (and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but no else has spoken up :) ), is to provide a more consistent interface (the machined pin that fits into the cavity in the plastic nock) between the shaft and the nock. When they introduced the X-10 shaft, I think that they wanted a nock system that was even more consistent than the G-nock, and this was the solution.

The Easton pin nocks (the plastic part) are, I believe, molded using only a single mold (possibly one per color) in order to achieve higher consistency in the molded part while in contrast, a set of G-nocks or Super-Nocks that you buy will probably come from multiple molds which results in a wider spread of manufacturing tolerances. Note that Beiter nocks (none of which are pin nocks) are molded using a single mold too, for improved consistency (they did this before the introduction of pin nocks).

The Easton pin nocks are also designed to release from the string with a bit less force, and also to be more consistent in their release force.

As for the pin nock that Magnock makes (the nock part, not the pin), it is a cut down version of their standard insert (nock part) that is then reamed out to match the pin on the insert (either an Easton pin or the Magnock Ti pin). With it, you get a lower and more consistent release force due to the magnetic holding system.

OK now that I've probably put my foot in it :D maybe someone can give you the real skinny on pin nocks. GT, maybe? ;)

Rob

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Interesting Question

I have shot my Navigators off and on with both the pins and the G-Nocks all year. I think there MAY be a difference at 90 meters if you are into Fita (not sure). But at Field range distances, I can't say that one offers any advantage over the other that impacts on the score card. One possible exception might be if the pin nock stiffens the spine enough to suit your setup better. Of course going to the G-Nock might lower the apparent spine to give you an advantage should you need to go that way. No one has ever answered the question of how much pin nocks stiffen spine in a way that would mean anything to archers trying to select components to build an arrow that I have seen. As far as Navigators go, the pins seem to protect the shafts well, but on the other hand the G-Nocks seem to get less center hits. Bottom line.........who the hell knows?
Jbird

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK if the nock does change the spine you mite get a differince SP

but on the other hand the G-Nocks seem to get less center hits. Bottom line.........who the hell knows?

ok by this you mean that thay dont get in the Xs as good as the pin nocks so if so there must be somrthing to the centering of the pin nocks to give you better flieght:confused:
runawaysXs;)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Not Quite

What I mean is the G-Nocks seem to do a better job of deflecting the arrows than the pin nocks do. This is just speculation on my part. My wife shot G-Nocks exclusively all year and had several nocks shot off with no shaft damage even though the Nav's have no uni bushing to protect the end of the shaft.
Jbird

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i see:D i guss i am trying to get some of tham pro on here to tell us something thay musd now:D if we can get tham on here

runawaysXs

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Would be nice to have the input

CHPro has shot them all year and I think he has only shot them with the pins and CT McKinney Pin nocks. Don't know if he tried them with G-nocks or not.
Jbird

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I tried both the pin nocks ang g-nocks. I switched to pin nocks right after the NFAA nationals where I broke nearly a whole dozen shafts. I shot them at the NAA nationals the next week and noticed a BIG difference in my groups at FITA and shot a few personal bests along the way. I have shot several GREAT NFAA scores with the pin nocks also, but bent pins and no practice once I switched over effected my scores some. g-nocks are no good woth nav 540 shafts and stiffer. They do work well for deflection with weaker spined arrows since the nock is slightly larger than the diameter of the shaft. If you don't mind the price of pin nocks and pins I would choose them first. Just don't get the current Navigator pins from easton. I have bent more pins than I broke nocks. the $$$$ has rung up to a price of a whole new dozen navigator shafts so far (2 months of shooting) . lol.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i shoot magnock so i am going magnock all the way just was getting some input as how moch thepin nock could help on the shooting thak you all for the input

runawaysXs ;)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
FYI, I haven't shot my Navigators or Vectors without the pins and pin nocks so I can't comment on the accuracy aspect (though I'd be willing to bet that either is just as accurate).

I do feel however that the pins do an excellent job of protecting the shafts. I've been shooting my Nav since late April, busted several pins along the way - including some where the back end of the pin was nearly sheared off by the incoming arrow - and only cracked the back end of one shaft. I did not shoot the Vectors quite as much until very recently. But lately I've been doing some experimentation and shooting several Vector arrows at a single spot from 20 and 10 yds and the pins have performed admirably in terms of protecting the back end of the shaft. So much so that I have yet to experience any shaft damage (and I shot a few 12 arrow ends at a single spot at 10 yds to test this ;)). And yes, I did break several nocks, had a couple arrows even kiss out 2" - 3", so I know the impacts were solid.

Just my opinion, I would suggest the pins solely because of the protection they provide the shaft itself. Increased accuracy? I wouldn't switch just for that reason, but hey, that's just me. :D!

>>-------->

1 - 11 of 11 Posts