Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you shoot your 80 yarder? do you use your level? Bottom of your braket?

I use the my 65 yard pin thru the gap in the string above my peep. Put my 65 yard pin about 3-4 inches above the spot and she's good.

Just curious.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I shot pins, that's about how I did it.

I would align the bottom of the sight window with the bottom of the 4 ring, center up the 65 yard pin above the dot and let 'er rip.

It was tough, but I got there most of the time.

I called this technique 'using the force'. Sometimes I miss shooting pins. I find that I focused alot harder on my shots. Downside was that even though there was planty of focus. . .I would miss more often.

Sometimes the force was strong, and sometimes not so.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
i visually " mark" where my 40 yrd pin lies, then raise my 60 to that point...laugh at how far above the target frame i am.. and let it rip !! LOL

i've tried the level... just can't make it work for me.

:shade:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

I use the my 65 yard pin thru the gap in the string above my peep. Put my 65 yard pin about 3-4 inches above the spot and she's good.

Just curious.
Thats how I did it, only I held the pin on the 3/4 line (same as I hold for 70, which makes less to remember;)) and I shot %50 on the 80 that way. I will take a 1:2 chance on the 80 any day with pins. That means I will hit one of them right?:D
This summer I am joining the clickety click crowd though.
John

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Just curious.
Actually this is against the rules if they can prove this technique. The rules state that you have 1 anchor piont. If you are looking above the peep then you must be changing the anchor. I know this seems trivial but rules are rules. This was a technique that was used years ago but the top BHFS and BHFSL shooters but it was a known infraction. Heck with everything that BHFS/BHFSL shooters have why even change your anchor. ie. vertical line that usually has some sort of knot in the line, level, pin guard then you have the high speed that is incorporated with todays bows. Most shooters do not even come off the target when shooting a 20-60 yard pin gap. This is one reason that I now shoot FS.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
i visually " mark" where my 40 yrd pin lies, then raise my 60 to that point...laugh at how far above the target frame i am.. and let it rip !! LOL
When I shot pins...that's how I shot it. :)

Once you get it down it's mosey...plenty of19s and 20s on the 80 shooting pins using this method:D

And like rattleman said...the other way is against the rules. You gotta learn where and how to hold...it's not that complicated :)

·
Registered
555 Posts

i've tried the level... just can't make it work for me.

:shade:
I was shown this method. I tried shooting 15 yard gaps last year 20-80 yards and found the 80 yard pin was a waste for 2 shots and just made my gaps too big to be consistent.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Just curious.
i honestly have enough room in my sight window and pins for my bow to shoot 80-90 yards, i dont use the level, i just use my pins and put it dead on the target and thats normally where i hit it, its difficult shootin at 80 yards but after a while you get used to it a lot. ive been shootin 80 yards for about 6 months and im just now gettin used to it. but itll help you in the short yardage esp when deer season comes in.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
i honestly have enough room in my sight window and pins for my bow to shoot 80-90 yards, i dont use the level, i just use my pins and put it dead on the target and thats normally where i hit it, its difficult shootin at 80 yards but after a while you get used to it a lot. ive been shootin 80 yards for about 6 months and im just now gettin used to it. but itll help you in the short yardage esp when deer season comes in.
Sounds like you're saying you set an 80 yd pin. But in BHFS or BHFSL, you can only have 5 pins. For two shots during the entire round, how many points are you losing on your shorter ranges because of having used a pin for 80 yards. Seems to me like the gaps you'd have for the other 4 pins would be too large to be adequate for the odd ranges, especially on the hunter faces.

Two shots aren't worth wasting a pin for in my opinion. I also use the "see where the 40 yard pin lies, then aim at that spot with my 60. And maybe just give it just a bit more to make up for the increase in drop from 60 to 80 over what you'd have from 40 to 60.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wondered if it was against the rules. KInda of like using a different weight arrow or something ie......

I had always spotted my 65 and raised to the 50. But hey, what ever works.

Rule is in Part II, Page 6 section 6.

Im off to the range. Have blessed day all.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I use every 10 yards from 20 meaning my last pin is 60. 65 is 1/2 way up the face, 70 is 60 pin on the top of the face. 75 is scarey in the middle of no where!!! and 80 is the sight guard on the bottom of the 5 ring. All done with the peep as it should be.

As long as they all land in the 4 ring or better at 70+ I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I used the '60-40' method as they call it for years. Got my share of dots that way. IMHO Field archers put too much emphasis on the 80 yard walk-up. Yes, it can make the difference in your score but at most it is TWO stinking arrows! It ain't worth the pain of adjusting your level, pin guard or some other device for an additional aiming point.

Like Rattleman says, looking above the peep is a violation of the rules. If you stick with that method, I wouldn't advertise. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
when i shot i looked through my peep and held my bubble right on the dot and then where my arrow hit i held exactly oppiste from that with the top of the bubble most of the time hold the top of your bubble at about 3 4 line at 6 o clock this will work great if you can keep your form try it im sure it will work for you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts