Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting and have noticed when I focus on the target, the pins are blurry. I know my vision is 20/20 becasue I just was at the eye docter yesterday. Is it normal for them to be blurry? What can I do to help with the blurriness?
thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would like to know as well, I have always heard "Pick a spot and follow through." But this book I am reading right now says that you should focus on your pin and the target should just be a blur in the background. I feel more confident picking a spot and letting my pin be fuzzy. Which is correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem and attribute it to parallax similar to a rifle scope. Maybe I'm just getting old or something. When I look at the pins they are clear, but when I look at the target, the pins seem blurry. I also have very good eye-sight.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
You can't focus on both, so you've got to decide which :D I prefer to stare at the target and focus on that, I let my subconscious align the pin when shooting a single pin. When shooting my multi-pin outdoor setup it's a little tougher and I admit to conciously looking at the pin at first to line it up and then straring at the target.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Do not stare at you pins if you do you will not allow your dot to float on the target and bad things can come from that which include a number of aiming disorders :) Focus on the target!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Agree w/ Doug

Either way will work, however focusing on the pin helps one pick the right pin when using multiple pin sights. If you are aware, a shift of focus from pin to target is ususally the norm. Just be sure to pick one way or the other and be consistent. Open sighted pistol shooters do their best when focusing on the front sight (pin) and both the rear sight (peep) and target are out of focus. For me, this works best too. Experiment and have fun. Good luck.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The only way to bring both a near object (the pin) and a far object (the target) into focus at the same time is to use a smaller peep opening. This is just like photography where a higher number f-stop increases depth of field. The drawback is the reduce amount of light reaching your eye. Shooting with both eyes open seems to help with this problem for me. If the sight is on a t-bar you might try moving it farther away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts