Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if any companys are making sights with pins bigger than .029"?

I was diagnosed with keratoconus last January. I have it in both eyes. Left eye is really bad, seeing a little worse then 20/100 out of it without correction. With correction about 20/50 is the best the 3 eye doctors I go to can get me in my left eye.

My right eye is not nearly as bad. Good thing too cause I am right eye dominant. My eye doctor was able to get that eye seeing 20/30 with correction.

For those of you who are not familiar with keratoconus it is a condition that changes the shape of your cornea into a cone like shape rather then smooth and round. Because of this, people with keratoconus are very sensitive to light.

I see lots of halos and many other weird shapes coming off lights. Some days when the moon is bright instead of seeing one moon I will see at least 6 moons in a cluster. My Spot Hogg single pin sight looks like I am looking at many different pins. Really takes the fun out of shooting when you are seeing that sight picture.

I was thinking about if someone makes a pin at like .050" it might be big enough to see clearly. Or maybe switch to a lens with a big black dot on it?
All I do is hunt, don't shoot spots or 3D. If I don't get something figured out that I am confident with I will being going with a scoped cross bow for next season.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Shrewd offers extremely large fiber optics. i purchased a 0.05 diameter fiber and a shrewd scope for indoors this year. you could pair one of these scopes on a slider sight for hunting. i know sure loc made a sight that would accept "target" scopes for awhile. i believe it was called the leathal weapon max.

good luck
Marc

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I would try to look into the companies with brighter pins like black gold or HHA. I think their .029 pins with their brightness may help you. Also may be beneficial to play with a dovetail sight so you can move the pins farther and closer to see if it helps. Maybe one pin will be better than multiple as well. I know many customers have had good luck with the black gold and their photochromatic fiber covers. Good luck and I hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
There was a company that made a mount so you could use a red dot scope as your sight. I'm not sure who it was but with a single red dot and the added magnification of the scope it might help to correct some of the vision loss. If you are in a state that won't allow electronic sights then I'm sure you could get a waver to allow it with your vision issues. Hell in MO it is possible to get a permit to hunt out of the window if your truck if you are disabled. Surly you could get a permit for a sight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i don't know how much this will help you but also have about 20/100 in my shooting eye and i use a spott hogg 3 pin sight with .029 but their fiber optics is bright enough where that size is big enough i don't know if that will help you with you seeing multiple pins but just my $.02

·
Registered
397 Posts
contact some sight makers and explain your problem they may be able to help. they always don't advertise custom sights.

·
Hunter of many things
12,154 Posts
Have you tried something like a 0x lens with a dot? You can buy different sized dots to stick on the lens.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Brian makes great lenses !!
^ Would be my best guess for a solution,
good luck

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,103 Posts
Have you looked at this? It is really a slick setup and may help you.

Also, look at some of the FITA recurve places like Lancaster. I know Shibuya makes a .040 fiber. CR has one out to .060.

https://www.ultraviewarchery.com/products

1 - 11 of 11 Posts