Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I've been having a little bit if health issues, I have diabetic retinopathy in my right eye, everything is completely blurred and foggy. I'm right handed... So I've read about a few people shooting with a inch shorter DL and use your left eye, but shooting right handed? So I'm on the fence about forking out the cash to switch to LH and learn from square one wrong handed or make due with what I got and shorten the DL and shoot a awkward form with my left eye... Yes I've tried to shoot both eyes open and its no good. Anyone's help or suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
51,125 Posts
Shooting wrong eye works for guns but not archery so well. Make the switch. Who ever suggested you go an inch shorter----I wouldn't take any advice from them on anything archery.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda what I was thinking just doesn't make sense to me. A few folks on here recommended that on a previous thread that I read.

·
quality not quantity
1,287 Posts
I want to say I saw a picture of an elite Female shooter here at some point that was blind in her right eye, or something to that effect. Don't remember if she was right or left handed. Anyway, she was anchoring under her chin with her head turned far enough to use her left eye if she was in fact right handed. Maybe someone who follows competitive archery knows who I am referring to. I will see if I can find the picture but don't get your hopes up.

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Switch to lefty, it will feel natural in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
My brother-in-law is right handed and was walking out of the woods after dark about 10yrs ago and a limb from the guy in front of him hit him in the face a poked a hole in his cornia in his right eye. He's not blind but he can't focas on anything straight ahead with his right eye so he had to switch to left handed bows and guns. He had to start off with 10-15lbs less weight and work his way up but he shoots just as good now as he ever did.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Shooting wrong eye works for guns but not archery so well. Make the switch. Who ever suggested you go an inch shorter----I wouldn't take any advice from them on anything archery.
Just curious why it would be different with guns? Its not because you either change hands, eyes or adapt style with either.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I switched to Lefty for a while after having shoulder surgery. It felt awkward for a while, but it became the norm in short order. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if needed.

·
Registered
51,125 Posts
Just curious why it would be different with guns? Its not because you either change hands, eyes or adapt style with either.
Because with a gun you can over lean on it to use the other eye-----bows won't work in that fashion mainly because of the form we need to properly shoot a bow.
To compare what may work for a "pro" shooter to the average archer is not even in the same boat.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Perrys No Peep custom sight will allow you to aim with your left eye ( right hand bow)

Works like magic.

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
I want to say I saw a picture of an elite Female shooter here at some point that was blind in her right eye, or something to that effect. Don't remember if she was right or left handed. Anyway, she was anchoring under her chin with her head turned far enough to use her left eye if she was in fact right handed. Maybe someone who follows competitive archery knows who I am referring to. I will see if I can find the picture but don't get your hopes up.
Left eye dominate, right handed. Not sure why she shoots like that. I also would not suggest anybody really try it.

·
Registered
17,259 Posts
Because with a gun you can over lean on it to use the other eye-----bows won't work in that fashion mainly because of the form we need to properly shoot a bow.
To compare what may work for a "pro" shooter to the average archer is not even in the same boat.
actually they are the same....

the angle of the shooters head won't make any difference in form so long as it remains the same shot to shot. The only thing that will really change is anchor point which again, as long as it remains consistent all will be good.

there is zero reason why you can't use your left eye...just requires turning your head and changing your anchor point. Give it a try, it's a lot cheaper than buying new gear. The only issue will be your ability to pull straight back with the changed anchor point....just requires a little practice.

Don't listen to the "can't or shouldn't" mentality, work around your disability. Switching to lefty basically means starting over...rotating your head and changing anchor point will be a much faster adaptation.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I have a friend that lost his right eye at 3 but did every thing right handed. His only problem was that his pin was so long that he kept bending it so I had him switch to anchoring under his chin & off to the left side so as to line up his peep with his left eye. This has worked really well for him as he tried left hand & said way to much problems & time. This was back in 1980 & is still shooting that way.
The woman mentioned above is a Top shooter & if you would do a search on AT I know that there was a pic of her shooting that way here on AT less than 3 weeks ago, as another AT had the same question about changing to LH or doing an eye adjustment. Only you can make the decision how you want to approach this change & the cheapest & fastest would be moving your anchor point. Good Luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check out what Brian "Pigman" Quaca is doing. A recent truck accident left him virtually blind in his right eye he has adapted to shooting with his left eye and still shooting right handed. Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
From Peterson's Bowhunting Magazine, "In the wake of the crash, Pigman taught himself to shoot a bow all over again. Because he can no longer shoot with his dominant right eye, he decided to keep shooting his right-handed bows using his left eye. He was able to do this by moving his sight to the left-hand side of the riser and using a knot tied to his bowstring as an anchor point." http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/hogs/the-road-to-recovery-brian-pigman-quacas-return/

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree with you on this. Ask anyone on how you "should or have to" do things and you will get a thousand answers with people having a different approach on things. Take for example back tension releases with a hinge and how to properly use them and you will have the experts here tell you how you "must" use these muscles and rotate the scapula and so on and so forth or else you are not going to be any good at it. Well, some of the best shooters in the world will disagree. It boils down to what feels right for you and what works best for you. My hunting partner shoots his bow right handed with his left eye and is darn accurate. I think what matters most is having fun doing what you love regardless of how you are doing it. Opinions are like--------, everyone has one. Including me in this post ��
actually they are the same....

the angle of the shooters head won't make any difference in form so long as it remains the same shot to shot. The only thing that will really change is anchor point which again, as long as it remains consistent all will be good.

there is zero reason why you can't use your left eye...just requires turning your head and changing your anchor point. Give it a try, it's a lot cheaper than buying new gear. The only issue will be your ability to pull straight back with the changed anchor point....just requires a little practice.

Don't listen to the "can't or shouldn't" mentality, work around your disability. Switching to lefty basically means starting over...rotating your head and changing anchor point will be a much faster adaptation.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
always shoot with the eye that you see best, if you are right handed but can not see well out of it, it is pretty easy to change hands and use the good eye,,, both of my kids did, but for different reasons, son is a lefty but right eye, he shoots rights handed and can shoot left handed very well but always picks up a right hand bow,,, my daughter is right handed but blind in her right eye since she was a small child, she has always sot left handed because that is the eye she can see with

i am right handed right eye,, i shoot right handed, owning a shop i do work on left hand bows,, so i learned to shoot left handed and left also, and frequently shoot them right handed also, i have also shot right handed bows left handed, it's more a matter of being willing to do it than anything else

1 - 20 of 30 Posts